New model 8???

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
ROBOPUMP

New model 8???

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I just purchased this one, but have not received it. It is the most expensive gun I have ever boutht. I did vet the seller through his back door and it is a all numbers matching rifle. I see model 81's going for $2700 and I think this first year model 8 was worth the price. The seller had no idea what he had, so I had to coach him along the way on getting to the serial numbers. It appears that this rifle is all original first year of manufacture with some nice Marble sights.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/619627518

Jackitus just kicked in on this one.

I hope I am not disappointed.

ROB
81police

Re: New model 8???

Post by 81police »

Hey Rob, that is a beautiful Model 8 indeed. WOW! The early teardrop safety levers are my favorite, always thought they looked so cool.

As a heads up, the buttstock is very nice by the way, but not original to rifle #1103 made in 1906. It doesn't have the notable "cheeks" in the wrist, nor was the semi curved, bottom-tang steel buttplate available in 1906. This stock is a replacement as this style was not available from at least the early 1920's. The woodset is still VERY nice despite.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Should the barrel have the caliber stamped on the extention?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

In response to Cam's comment about the butt stock and butt plate. I had the seller send me pictures of the inside of the butt plate and it had 103 a space and 809. The 103 is a partial matching serial number which many had on the butt plate and we know it is NOT S/N: 103809. The butt stock has the number 1103 where it should be. It is believed that this rifle was sent back to the factory in 1945 with a "3" repair code. It could have been refinished then. I will examine the rifle better once I receive it.

Also, to add to my confidence that the rifle is all matching, I have a 1907 rifle with the same butt stock with no "cheeks". It is serial number to the rifle. S/N: 3273. This butt stock does have a replacement plain curved butt plate.

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I also wanted to give a thanks to Cam and Bandersnatch for the comments, knowledge and sharp eyes. These were the very things I questioned when I first saw the auction. This is not the first model 8 I have stumbled across.

I also questioned the barrel extention as not being correct with the caliber stamped on it. However, Henwood does state finding a rifle with the caliber stamped in both places and it was suspect that the barrel had been replaced. On my rifle, I can't understand why the barrel would have been replaced on a rifle in such good condition. 35 Rem is the only caliber available in 1906. Usually barrels are replaced to change the caliber. Of course, we will never know since barrels do not have serial numbers. It always bothered me that Remington chose not to serial number the barrels, but would serial number butt plates.

I guess the thing that caught my eye most was the straight grain of the butt stock which was not common on early rifles.

ROBOPUMP
81police

Post by 81police »

Excellent news Rob. From the info you gave it indeed sounds like a later factory replacement, as that stock and plate were factory standard from 1922 through production. The fact that there is a partial or full serial number stamped on buttstock & plate is very comforting to you I'm sure.

I checked some of my records on caliber markings on barrel extensions. #59, 404, and 1219 all have "35Rem" roll stamped on barrel extension (as well as hand engraved on jacket head). Most others do not, including rifles as late as 1449 and 3170 are hand engraved only. All are 35Rem rifles.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

My 1907 serial number 3273 has the "35 REM" hand engraved on the barrel jacket head, but not on the barrel extension.

ROBOPUMP
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Also, I found out from another person inquiring with the seller that the repair date code is "DP3". That would be Sept. of 1923 which is in line with the period that Cam says the bottom tang butt plates were first used and I agree.

Cam and others probably remember the long thread we had about my 193* latest known serial number rifle 69929 and my post of a rifle that had two serial numbers in the butt stock. One correct and one up side down from the other that was lower in sequence. I don't think any of us know how Remington assigned serial numbers to all rifles. I was in the opinion that serial numbers were assigned to receivers and component parts were hand stamped with that serial number during assembly. I think this was correct for most rifles, but there had to be exceptions.

ROBOPUMP
81police

Post by 81police »

ROBOPUMP wrote: I think this was correct for most rifles, but there had to be exceptions.

ROBOPUMP

No doubt about that!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

wow! I received the rifle today. Absolutely fantastic. This is a 100% serial numbers matching rifle that is 111 years old in the best condition I have ever seen any model 8. There is 1103 on the butt stock, the butt plate, the barrel jacket head, the magazine, the trigger plate tang and the receiver and receiver tang. The butt plate did have 103 long space and 807 between the top hole and the bottom tang, but also had 1103 above the top hole. We know that it was not s/n 103807. Now, what say you Cam? Also congrats on that new baby - your life is now changed for ever, but you have so much now to live for. I will try to add pictures, but they don't always take. This rifle is in much better condition than the pictures on GunBroker show. There are no blemishes on the blueing and no sign of rebluing. The wood has the original finish, but does have some missing at the very end of the forearm near the receiver(high spots). There are a few minor scratches on the butt stock, but I will try to steam them out. All wood is proud to the metal and shows no indication of refinishing. The magazine follower has just a minor scuff on it which means not many rounds have been loaded and ejected. I am very, very pleased and I don't think I paid too much for this one. I tried to upload some pictures, but as always on this sight, files are to big. Repair date code is "DPP3" which is Sept. of 1945.

ROBOPUMP
81police

Post by 81police »

I say the buttstock and buttplate are not the ones originally supplied with the rifle at production, however the current ones most definitely appear to be a factory replacement a couple decades later. A FINE rifle!!!!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

$2700 for a pretty standard early Model 8!?! That seems high to me and about $1500 more than I have ever seen one sell before in that configuration...but as long as you love it! :D
Todd
Remington Model 8, .35 Rem (1909)
Remington Model 8, .32 Rem (1926)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1937)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1941)
Remington Model 81, .300 Savage (1946)
Remington Model 81, 35 Rem (1948)
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I have no idea where you came up with $2700.00, but I paid $2023.00 including shipping on a very rare rifle that I could afford.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

ROBO
I support your decision. It's a low number rifle with a lot going for it.
Don't let our brothers & sisters on the forum defecate on your parade. It's your joy, keep it.

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Thank you so much. I needed that. This is a real fine fifle that appears to be all origina.

ROB