New member with a model 81 question

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
House beagle

New member with a model 81 question

Post by House beagle »

Hello all,

I just acquire a model 81 made in 1946 in 30 rem. My question, is there a trick to getting the stock screw back in? I took the screw out to get the stock off but now I can't get it to go back in, it threads in fine without the stock installed. Stock is fully flush against the back of the receiver so I don't think the stock is blocking the screw from threading in. Maybe I'm overlooking something?
Phyrbird

Re: New member with a model 81 question

Post by Phyrbird »

Phyrbird
SOKY
House beagle

Post by House beagle »

Thanks for the advice. It is extremely hard to get the stock flush up to the receiver, and even when it is as flush as I can get it, the screw hole and the hole drilled in the stock for the screw doesn't line up well. I will try drilling out the tube hole some, is there a certain drill bit to use for this and what diameter?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I used an old auger from my daddy in law's collection. Drills a flat bottom hole and you can estimate depth from the # of turns. Worked great, a little at time till you get just right. I would not recommend a beveled standard drill as they can grab and or go too deep. The original is a flat bottomed hole anyway. This does require a longer shank drill too.
Don't recall exact size of the auger, just as long as it fits the hole well.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I've got to do this very same "trick" to my 1939 Model 81 - it also is almost impossible to replace the stock tang screw and I bet the recoil spring tube isn't given enough "room" in the buttstock channel either.

Thanks for the tip!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.