Found a Model 81 Locally, Thinking about buying...

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
walleyealx

Found a Model 81 Locally, Thinking about buying...

Post by walleyealx »

Hey all,

Before today I didn't even know these guns existed. I knew remington made semi-auto's, but I had not idea they made them in .300 savage.

A local shop as one for sale in good condition. Has the original scope that's mounted a bit off to the side. No cracks or anything.

They want $325. I think it's a pretty good deal but I just wanted some input from people that were more knowledgeable on these guns.

Any input or information on these besides the basic "bio" kind of stuff will be much appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.
jack1653

Re: Found a Model 81 Locally, Thinking about buying...

Post by jack1653 »

Hi walleyealx,

Welcome aboard. Always good to welcome new members.

The 300 Savage is a good rifle. Prices are all over the place depending on age, condition, altered, recoil pad, peep sights, iron sights, scopes. The price you stated seems very reasonable and maybe a little low. You can check GunBroker.com and they usually have several that are for sale. There are three currently listed most with reserve prices in the $500 range. Just make certain that it is in good working order and fires properly. Then, brace yourself for a real shoulder pounding!!

Good Luck and let us know if you get it.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome! SORRY bad news ... these things are very addictive. Carefully turn and walk away from the idea. Then, please walk to the front of the room and say slowly "My name is _________". Orrrrrrr ....

Grab that .300 Savage like you are going through a revolving door on someone else's push. Then get yourself a Wally World slip on butt pad (med.) and enjoy a very unique historical rifle. (As a precaution check out your couch and make sure it is comfortable - it is not like to be your last 8/81.)

My first one was a .300 Savage about three years ago. It was more $'s then yours even then; about 70%, with the scope bracket holes but NO bracket or scope! It took over a year and many $'s to find all the parts to "get it right".

Then, there was the .35 and the .25 followed by the ... :roll: Hey you want a .30 to go with it? How about a .32? (The couch is getting real old! :cry: )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
walleyealx

Post by walleyealx »

Ended up picking her up today for $300 with a cheap case. The scope says "el paso texas patent pend." so i'm not sure which brand or when it was made.

Pretty exciting!

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Nice looking rifle. You certainly didn't get hurt with this purchase. The wood looks really nice and you will be glad that you have the recoil pad. The scope is offset because the Remington has a top ejection and a regular mounted scope would interfere with the empty brass. Another nice feature about the offset mount is it allows for the use of the regular iron sights. Have fun with your "new" gun. I am sure once you shoot it you will be on the hunt for more of them.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

There's a thief among us!! :mrgreen: And I'm green with envy! That is one terrific looking rifle and scope.

There will be others that will help w/ the ID of the scope. I believe Weaver was out of El Paso back then and it looks like one of my 1950 vintage Weavers. To get the folks started: is it a 3/4", 7/8", or 1"? Approximately how long? What's your guess of the power?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
walleyealx

Post by walleyealx »

the tube is 10 and 3/8" long, one end is 1" wide and the other is bigger, around 1 and 7/16".

the power seems to be more than 2x for sure. but not more than 4x
81police

Post by 81police »

scope looks like a Weaver to me. Nice find!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

Walleyeaxl,

It looks like you got yourself a fine old Remington for a good price. I love the Model 81 and the 300 Savage is an excellent cartridge. My 81 is a 300 and it shoots quite well. The recoil isn't bad at all, really! At least it doesn't bother me. Thanks for posting the photos of your new rig. Now, we all want to know how she shoots. Get thyself to a suitable range and put that bullet launcher to work. :D
tbury

Post by tbury »

Weaver was based in El Paso so that would be my guess.