Well Heck!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Wildgoose

Well Heck!

Post by Wildgoose »

Just about the time I had stayed "on the wagon" from my old Remington addiction long enough to think I was safe I ran to this guy at the range. He says his brother is selling an old Remington Model 81 and someone had told him I might be interested. Well, being on the wagon and all I said most likely not but kept listening anyway(Big Mistake). :roll: He says there is a story with it and that it is a rife purchased by the police department here in my home town and so marked. :shock: Un Oh, I never even knew that our local police had ever used the Remington auto-loader I have such a soft spot for. :!: The loud thud that you may have heard was me falling off the wagon, I will be going to look at it this next weekend and yes I will have cash in my pocket. Most likely I will be doing it again. But this will be the last time I am sure. ;)
81police

Re: Well Heck!

Post by 81police »

Wildgoose, I'm no way in encouraging your falling off the wagon, but should you succumb please please post some pictures of the department markings! I'd love to see them and add to 8/81 LE research!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Cam,
Here are some quick and dirty pics of the markings on the rifle. Seems its the real deal. In 1930 the Lincoln Bank and Trust was indeed robbed by machinegun wielding men in a black Buick who relieved the institution of $2,500,000 dollars leading to its liquidation. A news paper article on the Nebraska State Historical Society web site gives a detailed account of the robbery where the machinegun equipped mobsters held the 38 caliber pistol armed Lincoln Police at bay to escape with the loot and later led to rearming the department with more potent weapons.
The rifle is a Model 8 and as far as I can tell the date of manufacture and serial number indicate it was made in 1930 the year of the great robbery. It is in unaltered very good condition with the handling marks and finish ware one would expect of a rifle that was handled a lot and fired very little. It is a 30 Rem Auto. I will be doing more research for sure but I am glad I was able to pick it up. More later when I have had a chance to clean it up.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A very nice find, congrats. wishful thinking.... :cry:
Thanks for the photos. :idea:
I suggest a set of knee, elbow, & hip :? pads to go with the helmet. 8-) We all know you're gonna fall off the wagon again. :lol: There are 2 sides to this: one, we can't help it; :o two, our ladies are good investments. ;) Especially when we can manage a good trade. :geek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Wildgoose, That is a neat Model 8 and a great story that correlates with the September, 1930 (DY) date code on the barrel. However, the method used for the inscription on the receiver, is a tell tale sign that the inscription was done in later years by one of its previous owners, to perhaps commemorate the 1930 bank robbery in Lincoln, Nebraska and tie that in with the (DY) September, 1930 date code, as the story obviously plays well with the production date of the Model 8. The # 4 stenciled on the butt stock is a nice touch too.

The reason I mentioned this, is because the engraving on the receiver is not period correct and it has been done with a vibrating tipped electronic engraver, similar to a Dremel electronic engraver that we have today, instead of the use of hand push engraving tools (a.k.a. push engraving) or the chasing method (a.k.a. A hammer hitting the engraving tool), that were commonly used in 1930.

Hand engraving was also used on the early Model 8 POE 15 round magazines, instead of the stamping that we find on later production POE magazines (both Model 8 and all Model 81's).

We have noticed electronic engraving in the past on POE rifles produced in the 1940's, that were only roll stamped when they left the Remington factory with the POLICE GUN - PROPERTY OF marking and then, the rifles were later "inscribed" with an electronic engraver, by a Law Enforcement Department with their Dept. name. Like the Kentucky Highway Patrol Model 81 POE rifles for instance.

Wildgoose, You have a neat Model 8. Its in a great caliber used by police departments/prisons and it has a great story that you can tell to the folks that like stories too. Congrats on a cool find.

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Thanks Bob for the expert assessment. As you say it makes for a good story and adds interest to the gun for this area. Before it came along I never even knew about the bank robbery. It may well have belonged to the Lincoln department at some point in its 86 years but if it did it really doesn't add anything to its value. Speculating on if it did ever belong to the police or why someone would go to the trouble to make it look like it did just adds to the fun. The rifle is in outstanding condition mechanically and should be a great shooter. The old gent who sold it to me let it go for more than a reasonable price based on that alone. I am glad I had the chance to add it to my collection.
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

I agree with you, about how the stories add to the fun. The thrill of the chase is always exciting too.
Congrats again on a cool piece of Remington Model 8 history.
Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

Great info S&S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Educated me on that one :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator