81 owner after30yr absence

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Texas by God

81 owner after30yr absence

Post by Texas by God »

Hi all. My Remington 81 experience started with a .308 conversion I got in trade for a Ruger 10/22. I test fired it behind a LARGE tree with a trigger string and all went well. I shot it for a summer with .308 starting loads and it was dead on. An older brother talked me out of it and he just clipped .308 fmj factory loads to fit the mag- and no problems. Unfortunately it was stolen later so we don't know if it would have held up over time? Later I found another 81 .300 Sav at Jackson's Antiques in Dallas(right across the street from SMU!!-good old days) at a great price so it followed me home. A week later (unfired by me) a rancher friend offered me double- so it followed him home! Fast forward several decades and I've got another one. This one has hunting dings, NO extra holes or sling mounts. It kicks with factory loads but I can reload for practice loads. I have fired about 60 assorted rounds through it and it is STAYING! Oh yes it is an 81/.300 also. Maybe I'll find a model 8 .32 someday- love the look and have never messed with the "American 8mms". Thanks for your time, amigos!
81police

Re: 81 owner after30yr absence

Post by 81police »

Really cool story (apart from your original springpple getting stolen!) Are you a hunter too? These 8/81 are so much fun to shoot, like you I don't get tired of them. Mmmm those 30rems are so much sweeter on the shoulder than the 300 savage!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Texas by God

Re: 81 owner after30yr absence

Post by Texas by God »

I've been hunting since I can remember. Squirrel, bullfrogs , turtles. To learn patience then on to bigger game. Last season I only got to hunt opening day so I decidedto use iron sights only. One buck with my Dads old 94 30-30 and one withmy .41 Ruger. Total satisfaction-not trophies but they are to me. I hope to try the Woodsmaster on spring Turkey with cast loads.So yes I love to hunt! I'm almost 60 so I'm slower now but a day afield with a fine gun is a fine day indeed.