Extra screws

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
cvgriffis

Extra screws

Post by cvgriffis »

Rem 81.jpg
Rem 81.jpg (313.62 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
Just picked up a Model 81, parkerized, in .35 Remington. Serial #31***. While searching for information I found that the markings on the left side of the receiver that are shown on most of the photos I have been able to find are either missing or were covered during the parkerizing, and there are five extra slotted screws in the side of the receiver. Can anybody tell me if these are factory, and what these were for? Also, I am missing the peep from the tang sight. Any ideas on where to get one? Thanks in advance.
Sarge756

Re: Extra screws

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome! You won`t find a bunch of parkerizing fans here but your rifle seems to have been done well. Your rifle was once fitted with "Stith" scope mounts. These are considered among the best for scoping this rifle. Though the company has been out of business for many years these mounts come up for sale from time to time on Fleabay and other auction sites so you can if you wish scope it without drilling more holes.
Go to the gallery section on the home page and click on" 8 and 81 sights and scopes". The Stith mount is the last photo on page 2.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

and...you have a Model 8 not an 81!

and...31XX would have been made in 1907, 2nd year of manufacture!

and...welcome to the forums, great rifle!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cvgriffis

Post by cvgriffis »

Thanks for the info. You missed a "*" in the serial number series, 5 digits, not four. Grip and forearm profile, along with the serial number range, tell me it is a 1946 model 81. Any tips on where I could find the disc for the tang sight? Has the screws but no base for a barrel mounted rear sight.
81police

Post by 81police »

so I did! That means your rifle was manufactured in 1913. It is without a doubt a Model 8, regardless of whatever wood it has today. Aside from the lack of Model 81 markings, another tell tale sign is the magazine w/out a left side spring (thats also is flush fit w/ the trigger plate). You don't find this on 81's. Plus its got a knurled bolt release lever, as opposed to the slotted type you would find on late 81's.

and...for apertures check out the link below...

http://aperturesnmore.com/
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cvgriffis

Post by cvgriffis »

Well now, ain't that interesting. This is why I ask experts. Ok, how about original wood? Would love to make it original.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

You can check the inside of of bottom tang: the trigger guard and the number stamped in the groove for the B/tang could match the receiver. If they do it should be original. Another location for ser#s is inside the buttplate. A few rifles have more locations but not all.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:You can check the inside of of bottom tang: the trigger guard and the number stamped in the groove for the B/tang could match the receiver. If they do it should be original. Another location for ser#s is inside the buttplate. A few rifles have more locations but not all.
I bet it all matches, even though we don't see the full Monty. I'm just sayin'!

Nice rifle, good score - holes or not!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.