Parkerized Model 81 (Update) and Cartridge Case Issue?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Hcompton79

Parkerized Model 81 (Update) and Cartridge Case Issue?

Post by Hcompton79 »

Well I got my gun out of layaway today and put around 20 rounds through her, wow that recoil is stout but compared to my Mosin Nagant or 8mm Mauser, not too bad. It has serial number 68XX and date code RG indicating it was made in Nov. 1938. It also has repair code DPP3 indicating it was sent back in Sep. 1945.

Here's some pictures:
SAM_4679 (640x480).jpg
SAM_4679 (640x480).jpg (174.55 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
SAM_4681 (640x480).jpg
SAM_4681 (640x480).jpg (142.06 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
When I shot it at the range it seemed to function fine and ejected all five cartridges as normal however I inspected the brass when I got home and found that almost all of it had a flattened edge to the neck like this:
SAM_4685 (640x480).jpg
SAM_4685 (640x480).jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
Is something not working properly in the gun, or is this just what happens due to the long recoil action or a result of the brass hitting the ground? I also noticed that 2-3 of the primers had backed out around 1/16" or so, is this normal for this gun or is something wrong?
norm

Re: Parkerized Model 81 (Update) and Cartridge Case Issue?

Post by norm »

Nothing unusual about the dented case mouths. Are those factory loads?
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

They are reloads I bought a while back loaded to factory specs, I don't remember offhand what company did it though.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I was wondering about what ammo you were using.As Norm said the dents at case mouth not unusual. Not knowing who did the reloads and what brass was used leaves the question on the primers backing out up in the air. Can be an indication of headspace issue but with only a few affected I suspect either quality control with a too hot load getting by or more likely old brass with worn primer pockets.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

I looked, the reloads were done by Sperry Reloading. Also I noticed that the cases with backed out primers were headstamped REM-UMC.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Could be old brass, though I suspect that, all brass and primers not being created equal, it may be that Sperry was using a primer that didn't fit quite tight enough in the Rem-UMC primer pockets. Personally, I've found that Rem primers fit best in Rem csses,Win in Win cases and CCI in nothing, really.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Bander,
You could have a valid point; after all Remington made #57 shotshell primers just to confuse our reloading. What a mess when the primer slides out of a shell then the powder follows. Plus the #57 have open flash holes that preclude use of ball powders; it'll get in the primer cup and cause nasty things to happen. Most of the time I've not had these issues with brass cartridge loading. Just with the shotshells.
Phyrbird
SOKY