A Tale of 2 30 cal 81s

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Phyrbird

A Tale of 2 30 cal 81s

Post by Phyrbird »

Your author takes keyboard in hand for a tale of excitement and woe.
Went on a trip to Cave City, visited a local show in the convention center. In the window was our prevalent sign of our times. :shock: NO GUNS ALLOWED!! :lol: :lol: (At a Gun Show :?: :?: ) Do tell. Even had a crossed circle over the semi auto pistol.
I didn't feel like packing any trading material, my heel spurs and knees have been acting up. Made one trip down one aisle and had to find a chair, I was having a terrible time, everyone had the same stock from the last show. :?
Finally made it to the very back corner in the second hall....
SURPRIZE :!: :!: 8-)
Two, count em, two of our ladies almost hidden in the very back corner. ;) A model 81 in 300Sav and a 30Rem with a vintage scope. Then I rolled them over.
SURPRIZE :!: :!: 8-)
I thought to find a clunky side mount, Instead it was a STITH :D Looking the two over the finish was 99% if not 100, the wood had the expected chips in the varnish. A small stain from a slip on butt pad. Pricing for these two was on a par with less clean rifles I have bid on. HHHMMMM WHAT to DO :?: :?:
YeeSSSS friends Jackitis had it's way with me; both came home to S Ky. What is even worse I parted with my FN A5 12 guage in trade :!: :cry: (plus Boot)

Of course the shotgun was refinished and probably had replacement lumber. A very nice auto5 with the prejudice of "Not a Browning" :P . Few realize just how rare they are in the USA, anyway there was a little return on investment for the FN.

So your author came home with 2 safe queens, a 30 Rem Model 81 with (I think) a weaver 2.5 in a 1" Stith mount, and a 300 Sav M81. At home they were found to have all the right numbers in the right places, matching serial #s. What a roller coaster ride. My heels have not forgiven me yet....
Phyrbird
SOKY
xtimberman

Re: A Tale of 2 30 cal 81s

Post by xtimberman »

Great gun show story! Just goes to show you that you can't find anything if you don't go out and look. :)

I find it MUCH more satisfactory to shop at a larger gun show or used gun store where I can examine things with my own eyes. Even though I will bid on parts and accessories, I have to say that I am not an avid on-line shopper for used and antique guns. I have succumbed two times, and was somewhat disappointed with both transactions. The photos were reasonably representative of the exterior surfaces, but the bores - extremely important to me - were not as bright as advertised.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Ah, gun shows. What a barrel of monkeys. Reminds me of buying my first 81, under similar circumstances.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I can agree on the auction sites, beware of photos with a reddish tinge :evil: from the red filter used. It masks all the rust spots :roll: and pitting. I have bid on several and found most of the sellers are reasonably honest. In one case a ebay seller refunded my bid when the barrel was a different caliber than stated, his only mistake was not reading the barrel. Anyone need a 32 Rem barrel :?:
In a few cases my purchases were not better than represented, most times when they arrive I have been pleasantly surprised. Wish all suppliers strove for that level of honesty.
As for bores of our ladies I have a new toy. A 5mm bore scope on a USB cable, If any of you want photos of your chamber and rifling I would be happy to oblige. (small fee if you please) It has a 90d mirror and LED lighting to boot. You would be welcome to visit for the photos. Bring your own USB stick to store them.
As for the show simians I can say only one thing:

OOOOHH OOOO HHAAA HHAAA with a discrete armpit scratch :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

And here I was, just thinking about "what was Carl up to lately".....sounds like a good gun show adventure!!

Glad you found some more of our favorite Remingtons to enjoy! I have a new/old Ruger Security Six that has made some fun time for me recently....a '73 150-series 4" .357, if you're interested....LOL

Carl, glad to hear your story. Good to hear!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

no pictures yet? :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great find on that pair!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:no pictures yet? :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great find on that pair!
really!

I'm sure we'll see something soon enough!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Come on Guys, ain't even got my gaspack on the end of the house fixed yet.
Changing out the control board, say a prayer for me I don't run all the smoke out of it.
Just got back from Tday festivities in Indiana. Too much turkey and ham, let alone pie.

Gobble Gobble
Phyrbird
SOKY