Stock screw won't budge

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Bill in Oregon

Stock screw won't budge

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was going to remove the butt stock on my Model 81 and plane down the ridiculous cheekpiece that someone carelessly inletted. The rear-most screw came out easily, but the one nearer the trigger guard refuses to budge. I have tried penetrating oil and tapping the screwdriver with a rawhide mallet. No soap. To add to the insult, now the rear screw seems just out of alignment and will not go back in. What a mess!
Ray Newman

Re: Stock screw won't budge

Post by Ray Newman »

A gunsmith once advised a soldering iron to loosen screws. Apply a hot soldering iron tip to screw head to heat it. When screw is warm, remove iron, let screw cool. Do several times. Sometimes the metal expansion and shrinkage will break away/loosen the rust, dirt, debris, etc., holding the screw.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Bill,
You don`t have a mess yet. If that second screw had come out then you really would have a mess. The second screw is NOT a stock screw. It holds down the trigger main spring and is Not to be removed. There is only one "stock screw" and you have it out. To remove the wood from the metal you might have to give it a whack with your leather mallet.Sounds like you have moved it just enough so far with the tapping on the second screw that the first one(Stock screw) is misaligned. The misalignment is a common problem with that screw.We have covered that a few times in previous posts. That screw has fine threads and is prone to being stripped out if not aligned properly. Might also mention that they are about impossible to find if you do strip it. May be closing the barn door after the cow got out but will refer you to the excellent video on the home page of 8/81 disassembly.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sarge, you just save me untold misery, Thanks so much.
Ray, if in this boat againI will get out the soldering iron. Great way to apply heat to a small spot!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Glad the info got to you in time. Hope you are able to make that stock presentable after taking off that cheek piece .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."