Jack-Itis and my first Krieger!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Adam Lee

Jack-Itis and my first Krieger!

Post by Adam Lee »

Wow - what a month! Just won my first Krieger 81 (minus magazine) and it is definitely a case of jackitis! More later I'm on a dang iPhone and find them tough to use.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =487746891

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: Jack-Itis and my first Krieger!

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
Think you got a deal :!: :!: Even w/o the magazine. They are floating around out there.
I've one (not Krieger) and will be fitting a spare mag soon. Check it out :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3206

The neat part is the rifle may be a one of a kind custom conversion. I've checked a non modified mag fits fine, you just can't pull it out from the bottom. I'm still working on a possible method to affix the side springs. Hate to drill holes in spring steel originals. I have a spring with the bottom nib broke off I'm going to experiment with.
Hey guys, anybody got other side springs without the bottom nib, I want them. That way I won't damage usable springs.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Carl,
I do think I got a good deal - even without the magazine!

It is a later Krieger, you can see it has that extra screw on the right side of the receiver (not talking about the pair of extra screws on the left s/n side) which serves as the safety over travel stop.

I'm guessing there is a specific Weaver/Stith/Williams/etc. side mount for a scope that those other 2 screws are for.

Anyway I've got one more day at school tomorrow, then I'm home free for summer break! I plan on sending out several USPS MO's tomorrow for various gun stuff. Let the fun begin! I will be tearing down three 81's and rebuilding them without much cleanup it seems.

I'm now officially in the hunt for a Krieger conversion magazine - if'n anyone's willing to sell/trade one to me!

A bit off topic, but once I get a bit of time, hope later this week I will post some antique .32 Rem ammo for sale on GB since I can't justify shooting up vintage ammo in such nice condition. That's a whole 'nother story....

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack would be proud, lol.

This is going to make one fine shooter/hunter of an 81. Love love the Krieger's. Great taste :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Team GM8,

How's about this wacky idea: in lieu of a Krieger magazine, I am pretty sure I could swap trigger guard/magazine with a "standard" 81 and put this rifle in action.
From what I gather, I'm going to have to take a look at removing the magazine stop screw (Krieger's screw) as well as the barrel lock mod in order to do this.

Now, I say all this prior to even actually holding this rifle in my paws - it is still in transit - so I may be incorrect in my assumptions. Any others do something similar? And also there are undoubtedly other considerations I am unaware of too.

thanks!

Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

If it were my gun I'd take a stock mag and have it modified to Krieger specs. A friend did some of these using cobbler rivets to keep the side springs in place, then worked the metal off the back until fit was perfect.

He may still do them, I don't know...

Pete V.
TVERSCH@HOTMAIL.COM
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:If it were my gun I'd take a stock mag and have it modified to Krieger specs. A friend did some of these using cobbler rivets to keep the side springs in place, then worked the metal off the back until fit was perfect.

He may still do them, I don't know...

Pete V.
TVERSCH@HOTMAIL.COM
thanks for the thought process, Cam - that is also quite possibly what I may do - mod an existing magazine to Krieger "form".

Adam
Rock Biter

Post by Rock Biter »

Awsome find! I hope you find a magazine soon. There has to be one out there somewhere. Took my Krieger out for a spin last week, she sure didn't disappoint. The more I shoot these old rifles, the more I respect I have for the old rifle craftsmen and what went into building them. Good shooting!
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Rock Biter wrote:Awsome find! I hope you find a magazine soon. There has to be one out there somewhere. Took my Krieger out for a spin last week, she sure didn't disappoint. The more I shoot these old rifles, the more I respect I have for the old rifle craftsmen and what went into building them. Good shooting!
Thanks RB - may I ask if you have any photos of your Krieger to share on or offline? Or serial information to determine date of manufacture? I want to learn everything I can about these vintage modified Remingtons - mine has yet to appear from the Big Brown truck of happiness!
Specifically, I am interested in good pics of the Krieger magazine so I can begin planning to modify a stock mag.

Thanks - Adam
Johnhalf

Post by Johnhalf »

Nice Adam! I'm jealous :!: Please et us know what you come up with for a solution.
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Adam,

I can relieve your misery.

You have a PM.

John
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Silvermino wrote:Adam,

I can relieve your misery.

You have a PM.

John
done! and thanks!
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

Take the full plunge, he was at 585 about 4 months ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Model ... 33a4f7cfcd
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Adam Lee wrote:Wow - what a month! Just won my first Krieger 81 (minus magazine) and it is definitely a case of jackitis! More later I'm on a dang iPhone and find them tough to use.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =487746891

Adam
Alright, guys. Just got back from my friendly FFL who has now logged in 3 Model 81's for me in less than 3 months - that is very busy for me in terms of gun purchases.
This Krieger conversion shows a June 1945 date code, and a June 1946 factory return repair code - PPP and PRR3 on the jacket.
The s/n is 22415, which matches the general 1944-45 range. Sure would've loved to have seen the second digit be a "1" but that's just my own fantasy! (21,xxx guns are those rare 1941-43 birds!)
It has a Marbles full buckhorn sight and the front sight has a "3" and a set screw/retainer screw. Not sure about that.

Nice shape - pics I know. Soon! I owe some pics for all 3 of these 81's by now.

Dawgs need out...man these 2 pups are like having babies all over again!

Adam