Model 81 Gunsmith?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
ckmorley

Model 81 Gunsmith?

Post by ckmorley »

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith for a model 81, in case I want to mount a period correct scope?

ckmorley
Adam Lee

Re: Model 81 Gunsmith?

Post by Adam Lee »

ckmorley wrote:Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith for a model 81, in case I want to mount a period correct scope?

ckmorley
CK, many of us here would advise against installing a scope to your 81 if it did not already have holes drilled in the receiver or barrel jacket. However, if it's already been done, read on this site a bit and you'll find recent posts about doing such a project.

There are plenty of 8/81's out there already drilled, that would help you out tremendously if your eyes wish the assistance of glass. I know that I am on the lookout for another 8/81 that's been previously drilled for scope mounts, because my 8/81 miniature collection (3!) does not have a single one with holes poked in the receiver.

Couldn't tell from the left side, but your pair of 81 pics don't show if yours was d&t'ed for a scope. If it was not, try and avoid it. You immediately kill lots of value of the intact weapon - sort of like when you get a dog "fixed" at the vet - there's no going back!

Just my opinion, CK!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ckmorley

Post by ckmorley »

The rear of the receiver has a screw hole in it from a peep sight, so the gun isn't virgin.

ckmorley
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

The screw hole you are referring to is factory. I would not drill it if I were you.
ckmorley

Post by ckmorley »

Thank you for the info guys.
I haven't made up my mind on scoping it yet, but in case I do, I've acquired a vintage Weaver scope mount and side-plate from Gunbroker.

It all depends on how good I become with the iron sights before October's disabled deer hunting season. I would love to hunt with just the irons. I'm just exploring options.

Thanks again :-)