ckmorley

new */81 Owner

Post by ckmorley »

pix390660031.jpg
pix390660031.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
pix277003909.jpg
pix277003909.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
Hello.

I shoot modern rifles and pistols primarily, but I've recently become enamored by older rifles,
Remington's Model 8/81 attracted me because of its looks, but when I delved into its history I was floored.
When I read that it was the first commercially successful semi-auto rifle on the market, and designed by the legendary John Moses Browning, and was a favorite of hunters, as well as Prohibition-Era lawmen, I simply had to get one.

I did further research and browsed the auction sites awhile. I decided to pursue a Model 81 in .35 Remington because of the '81's price range and the availability of ammo for the .35, since the .25, .30, and .32 Remington rounds were no longer produced.

On Wednesday last I located a beautiful rifle at a shop in Mass. and jumped on it. The rifle arrived at my FFL near Green Bay, WI last night and I'm going to pick it up in a couple hours. I picked up 3 boxes a Hornady .35 ammo at Cabela's on Wedneday also. I find it strange that Remington makes ammo for so many niche rounds but not their own .35 caliber, which is still popular amongst levergun shooters. Ironically, the first rifle I almost bought many years ago was a Marlin lever-action in .35 Rem.

I'm happy I found this great site.

CK Morley
Ray Newman

Re: new */81 Owner

Post by Ray Newman »

Remington still makes .35 Remington, but it usually is a "season run." Like a great number of calibers, it is hard to find these days. The last .35 Remington I saw on dealer's shelves was Fall 2014 at the local Cabela's. Believe it was the 200 grain core-lokt. Sold out very quickly.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Very nice rifle you have there! I look forward to your reports on shooting and hunting!

Good to know about the "seasonal" runs of .35 Remington ammo.
Even though I'm handloading my own .35 Rem. ammo now, I still want to stockpile 4-5 boxes of the 200gr. Core Lokt ammo - just to have around for the old Model-8. Core Lokt bullets of various calibers and weights have always rewarded me with excellent success. While I appreciate that Hornady has gone to the trouble and expense to produce a 200gr. FTX spire point for us .35Rem. shooters....I doubt that I'll ever be able to take advantage of the improved trajectory and longer range capability of the FTX. For the past 40 years....all of my rifle shots at medium-large game have been well under 100 yds.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice looking 81, CK!

What's the s/n range and barrel jacket date code, if I may ask? From the forearm style, it could have been anywhere from about 1940-1949.

Have fun shooting and enjoying your new rifle!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ckmorley

Post by ckmorley »

The SN is upper six hundreds. I was told it was a 1936? gun.

I'll get a pic of the markings later.

ckmorley