Checkering

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
wanatim

Checkering

Post by wanatim »

On the model 81 higher grade rifles, did Remington use a standard checkering pattern per grade, or was it random? Did Remington do the checkering in house or was it send out? I see some nice model 81's claiming to be grade b's and up but no two have the same checkering. They all look great but I would like to have something original from the factory. Are there any books dedicated to the 8/81 out there that goes into detail about the rifle. Tim
S and S HUNTCLUB

Re: Checkering

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Tim, Try this link to view the Grades of the Model 8 & 81. You'll have to scroll down past the Model 8's to view the Model 81-B checkering. Give it a look... it'll give you some insight on what to look for sir.

Click on this link: http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ge_id=1051

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
wanatim

Re: Checkering

Post by wanatim »

Thanks S&S, I didn't realize this sight had a home page. When I googled model 8/81 months ago this forum came up and I never searched any farther. Sorry to bother every one with my questions when most of the answers are on that page.
The rifle I was looking out had totally different checkering. BUT is very nice and has the kreiger mag conversion, The bolt is jeweled.
I started to discretely enquire locally about 8/81's and come to find out that there's quite a few of them around confined to the back of closets. The rifle was very popular in our area back in the day. These rifles were passed down father to son and moved to the back of the gun rack as more "modern" rifles became available. So my goal is to search out these hidden gems without alerting the local populations that I'm actively searching for one. But when I saw the above mentioned rifle I had to contain myself. It is a nice looking rifle. I don't now how to approach him about selling it. I think for now I'll just wait.
Any way, Hope everyone had a great Christmas,
Regards, Tim