Need an experienced gunsmith near Ohio

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
catcracker

Need an experienced gunsmith near Ohio

Post by catcracker »

It took me forever to find a Remington Model 81 in 300 savage that was in great condition, for the right price. But I found one, and all was right with the world. Only problem the rifle had was that the takedown bolt under the wooden hand guard was seized. No problem I thought. Took to local gunsmith in Columbus Ohio, and had them work out the seized bolt, and do a good cleaning. (Since I am new to these, and didn't want to risk taking it apart, and not being able to get it back together)
They got the take down bolt free. But now the rifle bolt grinds when you open and close it. They have had it for months, and haven't figured it out. They told me they need to polish and grind some parts to get it freed up. I don't know why. It worked fine before they got it.
I need a professional with experience. I am getting it back tomorrow, and need an experienced gunsmith to look this over. I'm sure something just got put back together wrong or backwards.

HELP. I've waited so long to shot this beautiful rifle. It and I need saved.

Catcracker
Sarge756

Re: Need an experienced gunsmith near Ohio

Post by Sarge756 »

I`m not in Ohio and with your winters I`m gonna keep it that way.Gotta be hardy folks to weather that. I hope you can find someone to straighten this out for you.I believe "straighten out" is not just a figure of speech here. From what you have described I`d venture that when the seized bolt was removed the receiver was put in a big vise and cranked down. The receivers are fairly thin and with an excess of clamping pressure can be bent and deformed enough to cause the issue you have. Shouldn`t be something that takes months to figure out . Hope you can find someone up there to help you.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Doesn't have to be in Ohio. I travel for a living. Last week I was in Northern California. Next week Milwaukee WI. Then off to Cape Cod MA. But I really need an experienced Remington Model 8,81 gunsmith.

Thanks for letting me bump.
Cat
81police

Post by 81police »

Cat,

Unfortunately considering the low production numbers of these guns they are somewhat obscure to the average gunsmith. You will be hard pressed to find one that has much, if any, experience with the 8 or 81 specifically. The good news is many gunsmiths have had their hands in Browning A5 or Remington Model 11 shotguns. Since they're both long recoil, they are mechanically very similar to the 8/81. This could be a place to start when checking w/ a gunsmith. Also keep in mind the barrel assembly, if taken apart, will require the gunsmith to fashion a tool or use a spanner wrench. A good gunsmith will get by this no bother.

Jim Green in Maine has quite a bit of experience w/ 8's and 81's. He worked on a rifle for me as a matter of fact. His info is below, tell him The Great Model 8 website sent you...

phone: 207-667-2511

He now works as a gunsmith w/
Willey’s Sport Center
248 State Street Ellsworth ME 04605
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron,
Thanks for this posting. It's always good to have an experienced gunsmith as a go to guy. These are wonderful pieces of gun history in our great country. But they were somewhat limited in their production numbers. So you're sure right about people having limited experience working on them. So much so,that here in Iowa, I have just taught myself to work on them. I have no confidence in anyone around here,to work on mine.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Thanks for the replies.

I believe I found someone right here in Ohio. So I will report back on how it goes.

I do believe in learning how to take care of my own collection. I will learn how to do all the breakdown myself someday. But this model I have now is in such good condition, and took me so long to find, I didn't want to take any chances.

I may buy a few more models of lesser value in the near future. Then I would a rifle or two to practice on, and maybe have a source for spare parts should I ever need them.

Again, thanks for the help.

Cat
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Oh wow, this is great. I may contact this ME gunsmith myself if I can't figure out my locked-bolt M81.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I just I got off the phone with Mr. Green, what a pleasant fellow! I'll take his advice on getting the trigger guard off and then if I need to I'll ship him the weapon.

I think I'll be heading up to Maine after my ski trip to do a little "Model 8 shopping."