Inherited .35 Model 81 kreiger?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Talonwildstar

Inherited .35 Model 81 kreiger?

Post by Talonwildstar »

Hey guys glad I found the site. I just inherited this rifle from my grandmother it was my gpas hunting rifle. I'm pretty sure it's got the beaver tail forearm. And I think it's a kreiger conversion too any way what do you guys think?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.29 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.06 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (179.99 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
Talonwildstar

Re: Inherited .35 Model 81 kreiger?

Post by Talonwildstar »

One more pic
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.03 KiB) Viewed 7943 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Talonwildstar glad you found us! Welcome.

Looks like you inherited a bonafide Krieger conversion, congrats :D And an early production Model 81 too :)

I bet that rifle has seen some woods!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Wow! What a wonderful gift from your grandparents. A very unique M81 with family history to boot. It just doesn't get any better than that. 8-) Thanks for sharing.
Talonwildstar

Post by Talonwildstar »

Thanks guys i never got to meet my gpa. He died from lung cancer in the 60s but I've been told he never missed a shot with it. lol I found his discharge papers too. He was in the Army Air Force and was at the battle of the bulge in WWII. I got a question too its getting light rust on it. I guess from the oils in my hands. This is the first gun I've ever owned. What would be the best way to remove the rust and keep it from further rusting without damaging the value? Also the sling is a Williams Guide. Is there any history with that?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Browning gun oil Quick :!: :!:
It's getting hard to find because of EPA, but it stays with your blue finish a lot longer. :ugeek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Subject: Inherited .35 Model 81 kreiger?
Talonwildstar wrote: I got a question too its getting light rust on it. I guess from the oils in my hands. This is the first gun I've ever owned. What would be the best way to remove the rust and keep it from further rusting without damaging the value? ?
Welcome to the madness (they are heard animals), great gun with great back story, WONDERFUL!

Got an old geezer gunny trick for the rust (learned it after "helpful-folks" that have had guns 50years before I got my first, told me to use 0000 steel wool - that gun was/is ruined! (Still haven't been able to look at it or do a "fix".)

I've used my penny-cardboard-WD-40 protectant fix on collector pieces and beaters! It works. (If you would be interested, I probably have some pix around here of an old Marlin 60 that was very much like your Rem - head to toe brown! - cleaned it up a few years ago, haven't had to remove any rust since and I'm real bad about re-oiling, etc. until I have too.)

First, understand that rust occurs because of moisture (in the air, etc.) must remove the damaging water/moisture along with the resulting rust residue... without damaging the metal or finish. (And like was said, you need to do it ASAP.)
It would appear from your pictures and that it is coming off on your hands, clothes, etc. that you mainly have "surface rust" (We'll get to the bad stuff later).
Spray WD-40 on a small piece of regular corrugated cardboard, rub the WD-40 spot on the cardboard until the rust is off, keep moving to a clean piece on your cardboard and/or use more pieces as the cardboard gets brown/black slick and 'clogs up". (BTW, WD-40 = the 40th attempt by the company for a Water Displacement chemical, thus the name.)
Wipe off the excess WD-40, when the rest has dried, treat the metal with your favorite flavor of gun-oil. I like CPL Break-Free, use to be able to get it at Wal-Mart, think they have their own knock-off brand now. Lots of folks swear by Hoppe's 9. (Heard several say they wish their women would wear it instead of Channel #9!)

Often on an old gun (and too many new guns!) one will find real rust build-up working on eating into/pitting the metal, I carry a Pre-1982 penny in my pocket. (Especially at gun shows! To see if the rust has pitted yet). The pre '82 penny has a copper/zinc mix that is softer then regular gun metal/finish. (Not so for black-rifles, special treated guns, etc. - mostly the newer guns.)
Use the edge of the penny to scrape the rust off until it is smooth to your finger, only taking it down to the finish and/or the pitting in the metal - which is easy to see. One cannot remove the pitting if is there it is there, nothing to be done for it - just a part of the "character" of an old rifle - kind-of-sorta expected.
Once you've scraped off the actual rust, go back to the WD-40 soaked cardboard, then do the protectant oil as the last step.

Once one is cleaned up, de-rusted, and re-oiled, I have found that the 8/81s are good to go, great metal... I have yet to have one to rust up again. Wish I could say that about all my stuff, especially the newer ones!!

Best to you with it, always wanted a Kreiger but.... :cry:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Congrats on your first (and such impressive) rifle. I keep all of my guns either in a gun safe or a wooden rack that I built for the purpose. I keep a light coating of Remington Oil on the metal and inside the bore. I never touch any rifle by the metal....only touch weapons by their wood (grips).

Clean you guns properly......just don't let metal cleaning rods rub against the muzzles of barrels....that's a very common and extremely damaging habit.

I have a dehumidifying rod inside my safe and I run a dehumidifier in my gun room in the summer months.

Now go out and shoot her! If you need shooting training, get it. If I lived close enough to you, I'd work with you myself but I am new to the Model 8 and 81.