One more payment and this is mine!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
In The Ten Ring

One more payment and this is mine!

Post by In The Ten Ring »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =403742627

I'll let you guys have first-hand pics as soon as she gets in here. I hope to hunt with her this fall.

Thanks for all the advice....I plan several more of these graceful weapons.
Phyrbird

Re: One more payment and this is mine!

Post by Phyrbird »

A nice clean rifle, a very pretty butt stock, 8-) and $200 worth of sights. 35REM to boot.
I think you got a great deal, Congrats :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

Thanks a lot man. :D

I liked the wood on this one too.....and since I plan to hunt with it and I can expect more scratches on anything that I go afield with, those scratches already present will make new ones less of a worry. This guy let me make payments too.

Now if I add a side mount scope, is that a sin?

I collect military rifles and such a thing is a big sin there....how is such viewed here? The mount I have I got from a member on this forum and it's a vintage 81 mount.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Yup it's a SIN!!
You want one with a scope holes I got some, most with mounting brackets and several with scopes... wanta trade?
Bottom line, finding these rifles with extra holes for scope mounts is easier then finding originals.
Plus when you start drilling you are burning dollars, with holes she'd not likely bring 75% of what you just put in it (maybe only 50%). JMHO
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

My opinion is,that Imfuncity is absolutely right. Don't drill it. I too would trade you one that's already tapped.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
In The Ten Ring

OK then....I don't want to sin! :shock: :mrgreen:

I probably won't trade but I could buy later. PM me your numbers and a good time to call.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, I'm sorry but I was mistaken. The only tapped rifles I have are model 8 s,and pieces I won't sell.
Thanks for your time ,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Upon closer inspection of your post link for the rifle you bought, I can see it already has a williams receiver sight attached to it. This requires 2 extra holes to be drilled and tapped in order to mount it . The damage is already done. In my humble opinion, it will not lower your gun's value to tap it again for a scope mount. The damage is already done in my opinion. I personally have some guns with williams peep sights,and I have removed them and replaced them with marbles and Lyman peep sights,and put filler screws in the holes. They work well and are super adjustable,but I think they look bulbous and I just don't want to use them. It's your gun so do whatever you want with it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Roger's point is a good one about already having an extra hole keeps you from the top dollars but there's something about holes in the side of the receiver that does a lot more damage to value and looks IMHO... but it is yours to do as you see fit. Will send you a PM first of the week as to what I could part with, always up for trades interested in all kinds of shooters.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
In The Ten Ring

I just received the rifle! It is a BEAUTY. :D

I did notice two previous holes in the left side of the receiver...either those are scribbed marks that were never drilled or the holes were very neatly filled.

I do agree that the Williams sight looks bulbous.

The wood and bluing on the rifle looks better in person than in the pics and the bore is shiny. It loads and ejects with ease. The trigger is a single stage (I prefer double stage triggers) but it's a trigger I can get used to quickly.

I'll edit this post with pics when I get the chance.

I can see why the rifle was such a popular hunting and police weapon.
In The Ten Ring

Good news!

8mm Mauser (Turkish manufacture) stripper clips load .35 Remington rounds.
gwg35

Post by gwg35 »

In the ten ring, that is good news thank you! :D