model 8 buttstocks

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
ROBOPUMP

model 8 buttstocks

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not. I have a keen eye and have notice some differentces in the buttstocks on the Model 8. Henwood does point out some differeces on the botton, straight, semi pistol grip with the ball rounded type and the semi pistol grip flat type. He does not mention what I have observed. I am talking about the top of the buttstock. If you do a search on Gunbroker for Remington model 8 and look at the offerings, you will see what I am talking about. The issue is the shape of the hump area just back from the wrist grip on the top of the buttstock. I have no idea what this part of the buttstock is called. In some cases, there is a scalloped area on both sides of the hump similar to this same area on all model 81's. Some will show just a rounded hump. I have seen this with all three cases of the of the buttstock, straight, semi pistol grip with round knob, and semi grip with flat knob. I have tried to determine if this was an early option and fased out later or not. This seems to be throughout the model 8 production. Henwood does state that no two model 8's were the same.
sighthound

Re: model 8 buttstocks

Post by sighthound »

That groove on each side of comb is called fluting, just an added touch of stock makers art and makes more pleasing lines. Have no idea why some have it and some not, just individual stock finishers preference I guess.