Model 81 in .300 Savage, 1945

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
DCW

Model 81 in .300 Savage, 1945

Post by DCW »

This rifle is the reason I just joined this fine forum. I am mostly a handgun guy (older Smith & Wessons) with an occasional bolt action rifle (Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines by preference). Recently I half accidentally stumbled over the history of the Remington Model 8 and for the first time felt any kind of interest in a semi-auto rifle. On my very next rip to my LGS, what should I see on his depleted shelves but this Model 81 in .300 Savage, which providentially happened to date to my year of birth. It was almost like somebody was sending me a message.

At least 97% blue finish remaining, bore shiny and unclouded, stock undented and with only one tiny chip from the pistol grip. I need to replace the tang screw, as a previous owner beveled a surface into the screw head so it would not stick into his little finger when he had it in firing position. There is just enough of the screw slot left to back it out of position and put it back in, but it looks awful.

I gave the gun a complete teardown cleaning, which it definitely needed; there was a lot of desiccated oil and grease in there. After a complete clean out and relube, the gun cycles fine. There had been some trouble with the bolt rotation when it was still dry. Since the cleanout and reassembly I have not had a problem during manual cycling. I won't be able to shoot this until I get some ammo, which may not be for a while. We'll see how that goes.

This is a great web site. I'm looking to learn from you all.
David Wilson
keltg

Re: Model 81 in .300 Savage, 1945

Post by keltg »

looks to be in really nice shape. Mine is kinda like a jigsaw puzzle right now. I have a model 8 in 35 Rem. i am rebuilding.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

300 sav ammo should be available at any local gun dealer or Carbelas or Acadamy at a reasonable price. Looks like a really great rifle ready to shoot.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, a newbie and jumping right in with pictures - may your tribe increase!

My first was just one short of my birth year, a 1948 300Savage, very memorable day as it was also my first gun purchase, just over 5 yrs ago.

Unlike those in the free states I understand your need (hoping) to find 300Savage, the cupboards are still bare up here also. If you like, shoot me a PM, I have more then I need, wouldn't mine selling a few to get you and your new found love to the firing line.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

You have a fine looking Model 81 there. Since so many of these were altered & customized over time, it's refreshing to see one that's all original. Nice wood too. You picked a great semi-auto to start with, nothing else is like long recoil!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Very pretty wood on that fine example. Have some real fun with it and keep us all informed on how'it shoots. If it's like most of them,it will be very accurate.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
DCW

Post by DCW »

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm looking forward to getting some range time in at the first opportunity.
David Wilson
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Buy ammo online if you can't find it local!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/192960 ... -box-of-20
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

That's a pretty gun....I like the wood.

I fully intend to get 81's in both .300 Savage and .35 Remington for deer hunting. If I ever have the funds for a guided hunt, I'll take those along.

Later, I hope to find nice model 8's in .25, .32, and .35.

Congrats on your find. www.ammoseek.com has plenty of .300 Savage!
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Nice rifle! Enjoy. I have a Steyr-Mannlicher MCA but am looking for a carbine.
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Very nice! Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....