My new 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
popgun

My new 81

Post by popgun »

Found this one before Christmas. Very clean execpt it's been tapped for a scope, Anyone know what mount takes four screws?

81police

Re: My new 81

Post by 81police »

It's hard to make out in the small pictures popgun , but 4 holes evenly spaced in a row are usually for a Williams Model SM (side mount). This is a fairy common 8/81 scope mount.

Nice looking rifle btw :)
Attachments
DSC03635.JPG
DSC03635.JPG (114.39 KiB) Viewed 7783 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
popgun

Post by popgun »

here's another photo. She's in 35 Rem.

81police

Post by 81police »

sure looks like a Williams side mount hole pattern to me!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ZenMastaT

Post by ZenMastaT »

I just picked up a Model 81 at a gun show today (1949 mfg.) which has been drilled and tapped in the exact same way as the gun in the original post. I've been searching for a Williams side mount based on the advice in this thread but have been unable to find one with the four evenly spaced holes - what specific model of williams side mount is that and do you have any idea where I could find it?

Thanks!
big al

Post by big al »

Hello Zen Masta
I am not sure if williams still makes the same exact mount but you can download a copy of their 2011 catalog at williamsgunsight.com You can click on any of the 6 sight catagories and it will have a link at the bottom of the page.If I were not on my phone I would post the link here. I tgink they still make a mount for the Model 8/81 but not sure if it is the same one as you need
big al
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

popgun,
First off congrats on a really nice 81!
I am sticking my neck out some here but I dont think the 8/81 mount you are looking for is still made. Although if you stay with it one my turn up sooner or later. A lot of these old guns I have seen have been tapped for this mount, sometimes for several mounts it seems. Since the mounts are missing they must be floating around out there somewhere. This is really true of the Marbles, Lyman and Redfield tang and reciever sites anyway. Keep watching Gun Broker, Auction Arms and believe it or not EBay. I have bought two tang sites on EBay for my rifles. For some reason, maybe the fact that they dont bring as much money as the tang sights do, the scope mounts for these guns dont turn up on the lists as often. At least someone was good enough to put plug screws in the holes instend of just leaving it ventilated.
ZenMastaT

Post by ZenMastaT »

Big al - thanks. I checked through Williams' catalogue and they list the SM-KRAG as fitting the .30-40 Krag as well as the Remington Model 8 and 81. I can't find any photos of it to determine whether its got the same 4 hole screw pattern but I did find some posts on other forums indicating it might not be the same mount as the one made years ago for the Model 81.

In the meantime I'll keep an eye on ebay and gunbroker and see if I can't turn something up that way.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

The image in Old Gunsites and Rifle Scopes by Nick Stroebel is poor but it does indeed look like the "Williams Offset Mount Krag" is different then the photo of the "81" mount. Believe you would do better to hold out, they do show up from time to time.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine