Charger clips

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Shooter5

Charger clips

Post by Shooter5 »

I just picked up a Model 81 and sure am pleased with it. My Grandpa used to have one and I had to have one also. I have searched for years and now finally found it!
Mine was made summer 1946.
I would like to know where I can find the charger clips(aka "stripper clips") used to reload the Model 81.
Also, is there more information about the scope mounts, tang and peep sights available? Were they aftermarket or factory options?
Where can I find a Model 81 owners/takedown manual?
Thanks and great sight!!
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
TNrifleman

Re: Charger clips

Post by TNrifleman »

Shooter,

First, welcome to the forum. Your Model 81 is a fine looking rifle. I'll bet your grandfather would approve! :D What cartridge is it chambered for? Mine is in 300 Savage and I love that rifle. If you are looking for stripper clips, check out Bob's Gun Parts in Royal, AR. Just google it. They have the one that fits the 35 Remington and 300 Savage cartridges. I bought some from them a while back. BTW, they are also an excellent source for other parts. Enjoy that classic Remington rifle. Let us know how she shoots.

Packmule's recommendation about the Henwood book is spot-on. It is a must have item for us 8/81 loonies. :D
81police

Post by 81police »

Shooter5, here's a brass one up for auction,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =123098848
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
8mm06

Post by 8mm06 »

I may have one to part with. Send me a PM!!
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Thanks for the replies, I'll check them out.
Mine is 300Savage. I was prepared to take anything I could get but I wanted a 300 or the 35 for best ballistics/power.
I'm not sure which caliber grandpa had but I would bet is one of the lighter ones. He was always a Remington man!
I read the 300 was the parent design of the 7.62 NATO round which I thought quite interesting.
I've fired the Barret and M2 HMG recoil action barrels so I am curious to see how the small caliber will be like.
I am definately in the market for the new book!
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
fatwilly

Post by fatwilly »

I read somewhere that the NATO 7.62 stripper clips will work on the .300 Sav. I have a couple for my M1A Springfield and indeed it does work !! Not as impressive to watch as someone intently loading a fixed mag with .300 Savage ammo though !! LOL :D
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

OK, so I paid a pretty penny for a vintage stripper clip to go with my Model 8 in .35 Rem. Got it today and the little tabs on the side are too wide to slip down into the chamber. :o It is marked on one end:

.35 CAL.
.300 SAV.

Is this a Remington product or some aftermarket job? Also, is this a common problem? I am hesitant to start filing on a pricey piece of steel and then find it still won't work and I cannot resell it. :oops: