DSC_2731sm.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
DSC_2744sm.jpg
DSC_2744sm.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
DSC_2728sm.jpg
DSC_2728sm.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
Mag purchased on the forum.
DSC_2720sm.jpg
DSC_2720sm.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Re: Jack's POE - LA Co Police Sheriff Dept #1

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Thank you imfuncity for posting the pictures. :) This is another of the good news bad news purchases. The rifle came form an auction in California. :o Of course, they would not sell the gun with the magazine but that made it a lot more reasonable and I had a magazine so it turned out pretty darn good. I normally do not bad mouth firms, but beware if you are ever dealing with "Little John's Auction" out of Orange, Ca. They ripped me off real good with packing and shipping charges with no recourse other than to pay or they would not ship the gun.

I talked with our Police Model expert, 81police, and had sent him some more detailed pictures. I think I darn near gave him a coronary when I sent the picture with the Model 8 POE magazine inserted in the Police Model 81. :shock: That magazine can be seen in the pictures that were posted in the thread. I know it is not the right magazine for this rifle, but it fit like a glove. It seems like every Police model has subtle little differences which makes it interesting. This is the first I have seen where there is a painted number, "63" on the stock. It is the first I have seen with stick on labels with numbers and letters. I plan on leaving the gun "as is" with the exception of a good wipe down with Rem Oil. It is in really good condition.

I think it is neat that according to 81police, I have the lowest number from the LA Co. Police with No. 1 and the highest, No. 88, according to his records.

As I mentioned, I have a Model 81 magazine that is being used in a hybrid that 2verbster has made for me in the form of a carbine. I will exchange the magazine between the two rifles. I have made inquiry to get another of The VerSchneider Conversions made for the Model 8 magazine. ;) I am pretty sure it is made for the .30 cartiidge. At least the shell fits properly in the magazine. I am toying with the idea of getiing the conversion made for the .25 since the case sizes are the same. I think this conversion would make a fun gun to shoot. ;)

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"...turned out pretty darn good." Indeed. Something about falling into a cow-dab and coming out smelling like a rose, I'd say.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I think I darn near gave him a coronary when I sent the picture with the Model 8 POE magazine inserted in the Police Model 81. :shock:
Jack I was trying to erase those bad memories from the short term memory! The rifle is VERY cool, and what a piece of history to have rifle #1 from the department that purchased the most "Special Police" 81's. I likey!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
texassako

Post by texassako »

I love those guns. Remington should have taken the hint from the aftermarket and made them from the factory with detachable magazines, or at least when they updated to the 81.
81police

Post by 81police »

texassako,

that's exactly what they did with the Model 81 "Special Police". It was a factory built detachable magazine but for law enforcement ONLY. Bummer!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Los Angeles County had "199" Remington Woodsmaster, Model 81's in .35 caliber, semi-auto 15 round detachable clips and 5 round box magazines; "172" Reising Model 50, .45 caliber semi-auto sub machine guns and; "91" Winchester Model 94, 30-30 caliber, lever action carbines with saddle rings. I have copies of the "actual" detailed "sales award & purchasing" documents from 1973 specifying purchase transactions in 1941 by County Purchasing Agent and the trade in thereof in 1973 for new firearms, County of Los Angeles! The documentation provides running lists of serial numbers for each Remington Model 81 and each Winchester 94 but, none for the Reisings. Although I am not at liberty to divulge the source or more information than proivided, I am at liberty to state the lowest serial number for Remington Model 81 Police Rifles is slightly under 10,000 and the highest serial number just over 20,000. Wish I could tell you all their exact serial numbers and/or more specifics but, at the request of the source, this is all I was permitted. I was also informed, the source was involved with the actual transactions in 1973 and that the POE's with one 15 round clip were sold to the public for the approximate cost of $200 each when released for sale! The documents state "TRADE-IN ONLY - NO CASH INVOLVED". For what it's worth!