reloading question for the 81 in 300savage

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
wayno

reloading question for the 81 in 300savage

Post by wayno »

i am looking for some loads for the above which are as low in recoil as possible.

of course, the load needs to activate the action, and be able to drop a deer around 100 yds, or slightly more.

i am thinking 125-150 grains for the bullet, but i have zero experience with the powder load.

thanks for any help.
Sarge756

Re: reloading question for the 81 in 300savage

Post by Sarge756 »

Wayno,
I invite you to review the previous posts on reloading for the 8/81 .Not knowing your experience with reloading other than you saying "zero experience with powder charges" I suggest you start like most of us did at square one.Get a good reloading manual such as the NRA Reloading manual and study it not read it.Get some old handbooks such as Hornady and Lyman and research the loads for your 300Sav. These books are available on Fleabay and other auction sites often.
Recoil like most things is different for different folks.Ive seen people shoot a 300magnum and not flinch and another guy cringes when he shoots a 30-30. If your desire for low recoil is based on your`s or another`s stature,gender,age etc. another option may be a slip on recoil pad and a gel pack on the shoulder with a heavy jacket. I shoot the hardest kicking gun in my collection from time to time (30 Express Remington in 30-06).When I show up at the camp with it I come prepared with the items I mentioned.Had one of my friends ask me, "does it really kick that hard". I let him try 3 rounds off the bench unprotected.All he cold say was "LORD!!".
The bullet selection you mentioned for the 300Sav for deer is fine minus one. I would not use anything lighter than 150 for deer. I prefer a heavier bullet out of a 300 and use 180g Corelokt both in my 99Savages and my 81. In your reloading handbooks you should find loads for the 180 that will be around 2400fps .This is just about the perfect velocity and weight bullet to as you say "Drop" a deer at 100yds. One last thought and you will see this suggestion in your manual; Work up your loads by reducing the suggested charges by 10%. You may find the low recoil and function round you are looking for. Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
tx81

Re: reloading question for the 81 in 300savage

Post by tx81 »

"The bullet selection you mentioned for the 300Sav for deer is fine minus one. I would not use anything lighter than 150 for deer. I prefer a heavier bullet out of a 300 and use 180g Corelokt both in my 99Savages and my 81."

I'll agree with the "not use anything lighter than 150 for deer", but have had no problems dropping deer using 150 grain Core-Lokts. Dropped two last season with them. Double lung shots. They ran, but they didn't run far!

Personal opinion, but 150 grains kicked hard enough. Can't imagine what the 180 grains would do to my shoulder. My shoulder had a rainbow of colors after a dozen rounds from my Model 81. My $.02 worth!