Model 8/81 Scope mount alternative

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Sarge756

Model 8/81 Scope mount alternative

Post by Sarge756 »

Wildgoose posted his retro deer rig and got me to working on mine. Thanks I needed the encouragement. This 81 came to me with some damage (dents ) on the rounded portion of the receiver.I intended to scope it and thought the base would cover the damage.Also gave me an excuse to drill holes in an old gun which is one of my aversions. Played with several combinations including Stith,Williams and Weaver before finding one that passed the appearance test and allowed use of the iron sights(when I remember to put my glasses on).Turns out I had the mount on another rifle.It is a Weaver #162 pivot mount that was on one of my 760 Remingtons.Though never intended for an 8/81 the curved base approximates the radius of the 8/81 receiver.Using the receiver as a backing block I soon had the right radius for a tight fit with 220 paper.Mounted forward ,the edge of the mount has a gate effect and and should direct spent rounds straight up and prevent bouncing them off the scope.I`m using a Weaver K3 with duplex reticle that has the proper eyerelief for a full view when taking a fast shot. This mount would also allow use of Weaver`s V4.5 as it gives enough clearance for the bell and power ring.Only drawback is the low clearance with the base requires rotating the adjustment turrents 90 degrees so windage becomes elevation and vice versa.This means only regular crosswire or duplex reticles so my favorite post and crosswire are out.
The wood on this rifle was plain and a little banged up.I repaired some dents and holes(misplaced swivel),refinished and checkered it.When it is completed I`ll post some more photos. This will be second attempt at posting photos for me. I hope they don`t come out giant sized like the first time. Joe
Attachments
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG (47.32 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG (42 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2692.JPG (138.21 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Re: Model 8/81 Scope mount alternative

Post by 81police »

smart move on that one, it turned out looking good too! I really like your checkering job as well.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Hey Joe,
That's a right fine job sir! I like the chekcering job too, nice work! I really need to get back to my projects, just can't seem to find the time these days. Great to see others getting something accomplished though! Best of luck!
Remcrazy
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Joe,
Great job on the scope mount and checkering....the checkering looks like original!!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for the compliments. Remcrazy unknowingly helped me out with the pattern. His Gunbroker listing of a checkered 81 awhile back when blown up to 200 percent image gave me a pattern I could trace and duplicate from the computer.Ah the marvels of modern technology. I`ve attached a couple photos of the butt and forearm. The forearm pattern had to be altered a bit from the original. "Bubba" had been at work and had drilled a couple extra swivel holes. An inlay and extenstion of the checkering was done to conceal the damage. While patterned to resemble the original style I didn`t border it like Remington did. A shallow recess serves as the stop for overruns on the edges.
Attachments
rem 81 stock 002.jpg
rem 81 stock 002.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Wow! I have to say again what a great job on the checkering! I'm envious of your talents! Thanks for the pictures and sharing with us all!
Best always,
Remcrazy
Sarge756 wrote:Thanks for the compliments. Remcrazy unknowingly helped me out with the pattern. His Gunbroker listing of a checkered 81 awhile back when blown up to 200 percent image gave me a pattern I could trace and duplicate from the computer.Ah the marvels of modern technology. I`ve attached a couple photos of the butt and forearm. The forearm pattern had to be altered a bit from the original. "Bubba" had been at work and had drilled a couple extra swivel holes. An inlay and extenstion of the checkering was done to conceal the damage. While patterned to resemble the original style I didn`t border it like Remington did. A shallow recess serves as the stop for overruns on the edges.