Model 81, 35 REM ammo

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
ctgodog

Model 81, 35 REM ammo

Post by ctgodog »

I would like to know the difference in the ammo for Model 81's, 35 REM....170 grain or 200 grain. Remington factory loads??? Hornaday Leverevolution??? Advantages and/or disadvantages??? I am not familiar with the caliber and its' characteristics. I just purchased a 1947 Model 81, 35 Rem, and need advice as to the best ammo for it. Thanks for your help...it is appreciated very much.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
tx81

Re: Model 81, 35 REM ammo

Post by tx81 »

ctgodog wrote:I would like to know the difference in the ammo for Model 81's, 35 REM....170 grain or 200 grain. Remington factory loads??? Hornaday Leverevolution??? Advantages and/or disadvantages??? I am not familiar with the caliber and its' characteristics. I just purchased a 1947 Model 81, 35 Rem, and need advice as to the best ammo for it. Thanks for your help...it is appreciated very much.

Clint

Sorry for not answering your question, but I have another question about .35 Remington. Just what's the difference between .35 Remington and .35 Whelen??? I've heard of both, but am clueless about the difference. Are they really different??? Or are they identical??? Clueless about .35 in Texas!!!
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

.35 Whelen is simply the .30-'06 necked up to .35. It is in no way related to the .35 Remington, nor is it interchangeable.

I'd stick to regular factory .35 Rem ammo with the 200 grain bullet. Buy the .35 Rem LeveRevolution ammo only if you enjoy contributing to Hornady's marketing manager's bonus. There is truly minimal benefit to be derived from spending the considerable price premium for LeveRevolution ammunition for use in the M81. In fact, that's true for virtually any rifle in .35 Remington. There's a little to be said for using it in a lever action rifle having a tubular magazine, but not much. Reason is that at any range you are likely to hit any animal using the 81, the conventional bullet will give equal (or possibly better) results. In short, LeveRevolution is nothing more than a very clever marketing gimmick designed to catch the gullible.
81police

Post by 81police »

I haven't used them all, but I like either Remington or Federal brand 200gr. soft points.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

You can't go wrong with the Remington CoreLokt 200 grainers. That cartridge was designed for the Model 8 -81 action and will feed all day long.

I've used LeveRevolution ammo and didn't really see the need for it. It also had some trouble feeding.
Same with Federal's 35 Rem loads. Those are just slightly smaller them Remington cartridges and also gave me some trouble feeding, at least one per magazine. I also had two from one box fail to fire. The primers had solid hits, but they didn't go off. I don't like when that happens. :shock:

Stick with the CoreLokts and you'll do just fine.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I have 2 boxes of .35 Remington 150 grain as well as 1 box of 220 grain and 1 box of 200. I also have 2 boxes of Winchester 200. The 200 might be the only load made these days.

Seems in how I'm reloading Remington cases that's probably what was shot out of our Model 8. I do remember shooting some Winchester and they shot OK.

If you reload Hornady makes a SP bullet that works quite well, 200 grain and a 180. But you couldn't use them in a lever gun with a tube mag.
KEN
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

DWalt wrote:.35 Whelen is simply the .30-'06 necked up to .35. It is in no way related to the .35 Remington, nor is it interchangeable.

I'd stick to regular factory .35 Rem ammo with the 200 grain bullet. Buy the .35 Rem LeveRevolution ammo only if you enjoy contributing to Hornady's marketing manager's bonus. There is truly minimal benefit to be derived from spending the considerable price premium for LeveRevolution ammunition for use in the M81. In fact, that's true for virtually any rifle in .35 Remington. There's a little to be said for using it in a lever action rifle having a tubular magazine, but not much. Reason is that at any range you are likely to hit any animal using the 81, the conventional bullet will give equal (or possibly better) results. In short, LeveRevolution is nothing more than a very clever marketing gimmick designed to catch the gullible.

Walt, I'm not sure when the last time was you priced the Hornady stuff vs. the Remington loads. They are cheaper. I personally don't shoot them , but the Remington ammo has gone WAY up...
War Eagle!