Model 81 should ship today

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
kenhwind

Model 81 should ship today

Post by kenhwind »

Bought another Model 81 .300 Savage online, my brother did. Anyway it showed up online, and he asked me for an opinion, and my reply was: "Do you want me to tell you not to buy it or to go ahead and buy it". Well after looking at the photos and the price he/we decided to go for it.

IIRC: the price was $275.00 so we jumped on it. The gun looked pretty good, the wood has been checkered but I do not think it is original, but didn't look too bad. If its decent checkering I can clean it up some as I have the checkering tools.

Pictures will be posted ASAP, probably towards the end of the week.
KEN
imfuncity

Re: Model 81 should ship today

Post by imfuncity »

At $275 no wood furniture, let alone having it checkered, would be a bargin if it functions! :shock:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Seller is in New Jersey and had a couple of long guns for sale at good prices. The Model 81 looked pretty nice, no extra holes, didn't see any thing wrong in the pictures and for $275.00 we figured to go for it.
After he bought it he E-mailed the seller, seller said bore is good. I doubt if a lot of 81s were fired with corrosive ammo, whereas early Model 8s would have been.
Shipping was $30.00 and transfer was $35.00, but we are still ahead, because most of the ones I've seen lately are pretty worn, priced to high or just not one you would want to buy. This is online and at a shop and one at a show. There are a couple of nice ones for sale online and priced about right.

FedEx has it so probably Thurs, pictures and evaluation this weekend.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

sounds like you did good Ken, can't wait to see it.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well its here!
Overal price was: rifle $275 + shipping $30 + transfer $35 + background check $5 = $345.

Looks pretty good so far, overall metal condition good, it needs a bath; as in a good cleaning; bore looks good, checkered wood not factory (I do not think it is), toe of stock was busted and re-glued, no Bubba marks, has rear sight with elavation screw, December 1949 UUX or XUU.

Will post pictures and continue the evaluation of this 81 ASAP.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

OK; here are some pictures of our latest acquisition. This makes three; one Model 8 C in .35 Remington, one Model 81 in .300 Savage, and now this 81 in .300 Savage.

Cycled a dummy round OK, not sure when we might shoot it. We live out in open country and there is a place where the locals plink, and we can go pop of a few rounds. But I need to clean it first. It has a few character marks but not beat up.

The checkering looks pretty good and was probably done when the rifle was new. The double border makes me inclined to not think that its factory, but the pattern seems to have been laid out correctly, like the factory would have done. I have sheckering tools so I will enhance the checkering, and make it look more finished. My brother wants to refinish the wood, and we just might do that.
KEN
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Looks like you got a nice rifle at a great price Ken. That stock should clean up nicely. Let us know how she shoots.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
81police

Post by 81police »

I can't recall seeing a factory checkered 81 with a double border either, but that pattern sure does look like Remington's. That's a nice find.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Yes, the double border seems a bit unusual, but the checkering job isn't too bad, it can be improved on.

Anyway got this one cleaned, what a mess, very dirty. Got the barrel assembly apart without any difficulities, which is good because it needed cleaning also. Bore is nice and crisp, not perfect, but quite good. I don't think this one was used much at least not lately, insides were dirty as posted but also dry. No major rust issues, but there are some pits on the outside of the barrel from yesteryear, and some minor rust spots and pits on the outside, plus of course a few character marks. Apparantly it had a receiver sight because it looks like someone cut along one side to trim a shim and left a mark on the gun.

Compared to the last couple I've seen around here this one is a nice speciman, and was quite a bit less than the others I looked at, even with shippind, transfer, etc.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I chased the checkering with my checkering tools looks much better, but will never be 100%. That's OK too.
Shot it today, shoots pretty good. My Brother went to adjust the rear sight and snapped off one of the legs on the elevation screw. Can I get a replacement?
KEN