picture of my 300 sav model 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
kaintuck

picture of my 300 sav model 81

Post by kaintuck »

notice the two front shoulder strap attachment locations!....must be a 'parade' attachment :lol:

i still haven't work the fireing function out yet....maybe today~ but she 'shore iz pretty'!
"do something kind today"
imfuncity

Re: picture of my 300 sav model 81

Post by imfuncity »

With such a looker - it may not even matter if she shoots straight :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
remcrazy

Model 8 & 81 Takedown Screws

Post by remcrazy »

The small swivel on the forearm stock is NOT a sling swivel! This is part of the "takedown" screw assembly to enable the user to grasp with fingers for easier loosening/tightening of the screw. This is a common misconception among many folks both past and present. The small swivel simply will not take the abuse, tension & pressure from use as a sling swivel and is too narrow for most if not all leather slings of the period. Unfortunately, some have utilized this swivel, forcing slings through and eventually breaking them or bending them so badly they fell off. This is why so many Model 8's end up with no swivel, a crudely made replacement swivel or makeshift screw with incorrect threads. Once loosened, pull the forarm slightly down, forward and off. Replace in reverse manner. Once in a while, you will find the takedown screw so tight it will not budge. Use extreme caution in these cases so as not to damage the screw or the rifle. "Never" use a vise grip or similar tool!

Model 81 takedown screws are slightly different as their takedown screws have no swivel for grasping but, have a large slotted head for screwdriver. Once loosened, pull the forearm slightly down, forward and off. I always suggest using the proper hollow ground gunsmith type screwdriver so as not to damage the slotted head. Replace in reverse manner. In the field, or emergency, you can use the base of a cartridge or coin to aid in removal of the takedown screw. Sometimes the takedown screw is so tight you will have to use a large screwdriver to loosen it. "Never" use improper tools that may damage or bugger the screw!

In either case, once the forearm screw has been loosened and forearm removed, you now have access to the takedown lever for the barrel assembly.

Hope this information is of help to all.
Remcrazy
Last edited by remcrazy on Sun May 01, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Very nice looking rifle!!! You will enjoy that one for sure.

I just bought one yesterday that looks just like it, except it has a Weaver scope, and the Krieger conversion on the clip.
Can't wait for it to arrive.
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

well, got to the range.had a friend watch the bolt as i fired.it travels back enuff to re-cock the hammer...not enuff to eject the empty....so suspect, a 'spring cleaning' is in order!

i don't understand about the forearm attachment...this dosen't do anything, the takedown screw is located behind this attachment device...and i turn the screw to remove the forearm.......????
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Forearm screw comes out to remove forearm. Under the forearm is a lever that you use to unscrew and remove the barrel assembly. At this point you will need a specific tool to disassemble the barrel assembly.

Lot of folks have looked to the barrel spring as the problem, disassembled it and removed a lot of rust and crud but few have found that to solve the problem cycling the bolt. Unfortunately, I don't know what is the issue or how to fix it - leave that to smithies who likely will be posting shortly. So, I too will be watching to see how the problem is solved.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

But... :? I am curious as to what you have your gun resting on? Been studying the picture: a well used step in the center to get up to a bed? Shelves or supports on the each side for a piece that folds down and...? :ugeek:
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

imfuncity wrote:But... :? I am curious as to what you have your gun resting on? Been studying the picture: a well used step in the center to get up to a bed? Shelves or supports on the each side for a piece that folds down and...? :ugeek:
that is a trundle bed....the bottom is a step to get into the bed....as under the bed is storage space.....the left/right steps are for the aging kitty i have....she no longer can climb/jump as she could in her younger days...and this makes it easier for her....so, she asked me to make her whole house easier....and in return, she lets us live there with her~ :mrgreen:

oh, and at top left....those are powder horn ends....i make and sell powder horns, with the engrailing/scrimshawed on them.........and i was taking pictures for fellows to choose from....and the bedspread is a "mom made" original, pattern from the works around civil war era.............and yes, i made the bed too :roll:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very nice - thanks. You are indeed bless to have a cat that allows you to share its domain. 8-)