Retro Deer Rig Ready To Go!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Wildgoose

Retro Deer Rig Ready To Go!

Post by Wildgoose »

Retro Model 81 30Rem. with Weaver K2.5 in orginal mount. After some load testing and sighting adjustments. Actually a lot of sighting adjustments, she's ready to run. Three shots with ironsights and three shots with the scope at 100 yards off the bench. I tried a newer scope mount first and it damaged the brass too much and caused the rifle to jam by having brass bounce back into the action. So, I went back to the original mount that required taking the scope apart to get it into the mounts and now it runs fine and no battered brass. The load is 150 grain Hornady RN .308" and 34 grains of BLC(2).
sighthound

Re: Retro Deer Rig Ready To Go!

Post by sighthound »

Wonder if those K 2.5 were popular on these or just a poormans Alaskan, have one similar to yours and have seen others. Is your mount offset (Williams mount) to left like mine. Not comfortable to use since have to hold head away from stock. Possibly used for for spotting or longer range aiming while using iron otherwise. Curious, Jerry
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

sighthound wrote:Wonder if those K 2.5 were popular on these or just a poormans Alaskan, have one similar to yours and have seen others. Is your mount offset (Williams mount) to left like mine. Not comfortable to use since have to hold head away from stock. Possibly used for for spotting or longer range aiming while using iron otherwise. Curious, Jerry
Hi Jerry,
From what I have been told they were pretty popular but I really dont have any solid information other than it seems many were sold and used.
You pretty much nailed it as for how I plan on using it. It is indeed off set to the left (Lyman in my case.) and akward to use at best. It keeps the scope pretty tight to the gun and I can maintain at least a bit of cheek weld. The tree stand I will use this rifle in most likely will give me a shot I can make with the irons even with my old eyes. Other wise I can go to the scope for a longer shot but not over 100 yards or so. May be it will help some in early/late light conditions too. I wont know until I get it out in the field and see how it works in real November hunting conditions. I am somewhat concerned about fogging in the right circumstances as well. Shooting off the bench on a nice day on paper with good light like I had when getting it sighted in is one thing. In the field on live game quite another. But that's the fun of trying to hunt with an old set up like this one. Adds some effort to it and some extra satisfaction if you are sucessfull.
81police

Post by 81police »

That is a sharp looking setup. I love those vintage scopes and scope mounts.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Interesting perspective or lack of on my part! I shoot left handed and I have had very little issues with the offset scopes, thus I did not understand the problem you folks were having. :shock:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Wildgoose,

I remember when that rifle was up for auction....and I would like to ask a question, without ruffling any ones feathers!!! I emailed the seller and ask him if the scope should be moved rearward in the mounts, so that the scope adjustment was positioned between the scope mounts, so that the eye piece was closer to the eye. He said that it worked fine just the way it was. OK, I accept that as fact, and wonder what the difference is in relation to the scope position on the Model 81, 35 Rem, that I just purchased. Here is the link to that auction:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =226413401. Is it the type of scope??? Newer version vs. older version??? Must be!!

Thanks for any insight...

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

ctgodog wrote:Wildgoose,

I remember when that rifle was up for auction....and I would like to ask a question, without ruffling any ones feathers!!! I emailed the seller and ask him if the scope should be moved rearward in the mounts, so that the scope adjustment was positioned between the scope mounts, so that the eye piece was closer to the eye. He said that it worked fine just the way it was. OK, I accept that as fact, and wonder what the difference is in relation to the scope position on the Model 81, 35 Rem, that I just purchased. Here is the link to that auction:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =226413401. Is it the type of scope??? Newer version vs. older version??? Must be!!

Thanks for any insight...

Clint
Clint,
The differance I think is in the scope mounting rings and not so much the scopes. I had tried to use the newer type of side mount rings (left in the pic) that are on your rifle. These are a two piece ring that allows the scope to be dropped into the open half rings and then fix the top half rings on and thightened up. These rings also place the scope more to the center of the reciever and higher up along with the eye bell being farther back. The mout rings that came with my gun are an older discontinued style that are all one piece and require removing the eye bell and lock ring from the scope and sliding the scope body into the rings from the front. Then reassembling the eye bell and adjusting focus again. The advantage is that the scope is farther forward, much closer to the reciever and places the scope farther away from the center line of the reciever. This allows the brass to clear the scope when ejected. With the style of ring you are using the ejected brass was hitting the scope and rings on my rifle and often causing the cases to bounce back into the action. Jaming was the result. You can see the diffrence in the side by side pic below. Both ring sets will fit the two bases pictured, it just depends on which one is on the gun. The newer ones are still being made but the old style are hard to find. I think that either way the scope works OK but if you are having ejection issues then the type of ring matters. At least it did for me.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Cool. Great Q & A on the scope/rings. I did not know there were two different kinds, I will now need to go check mine.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Wildgoose, Thanks for the insight. I am anxious for mine to arrive so that I can check it out. I sure hope there is no ejection problems. I will certainly let you know what I find.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
tx81

Post by tx81 »

imfuncity wrote:Interesting perspective or lack of on my part! I shoot left handed and I have had very little issues with the offset scopes, thus I did not understand the problem you folks were having. :shock:
I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I think I was 'trained' in grammar (elementary) school way back when to be right handed, when left handed meant you were Red (communist). Shoot rifle left handed, shoot pistol held in right hand but held up to left eye. Have to really stretch my neck to use the off set scope on my model 81. Do enjoy the open sights and used them last season when a doe suddenly appeared in front of me at about 40 yards. Went from standing to kneeling unsupported firing position in a split second, sighted down the open sights, and squeezed the trigger. Guess all those years learning how to do that in the military paid off. Dropped another doe later on in the season using a fixed 4x scope from ~ 100 yards. Couldn't pass up a 'perfect' broadside and put a round through both lungs. She ran . . . . . . but she didn't run far. :mrgreen: