Unless ......

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
rem81auto

Unless ......

Post by rem81auto »

If am lucky enough to find a Mint in the box 81 this MINTY 81 300 Sav. easily fits the keeper category and cannot be upgraded. The few minuscule things that wrong aren't worth mentioning.... no wear and no varnish chipping or blue wear anywhere. The glare or spotting you see is due to camera flash. I hope you enjoy the pics. Dennis
imfuncity

Re: Unless ......

Post by imfuncity »

Amazing indeed. Looks like a safe-queen-keeper to me.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
tx81

Post by tx81 »

Safe-queen??? That means something you take out twice a year, clean it, oil it, then put it back, right???

I think the only "safe-queen" I own is the Model 11 dated just after the turn of the LAST century.
The rest I have no problems taking out and playing a little.

Have several rifles over 50 years old and shoot all of them.

I guess my question is -- why buy a rifle that you're not going to shoot?
Just never got into the idea of having a tool that you cannot use.

Can somebody point out any errors in my so called "logic"??

And oh, BTW, that really is a "mint" condition model 81 -- definitely a keeper.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I also collect high Grade English/Euro SideXSide shotguns including a nice Purdey. I have NEVER balked at taking it or any of the others Grouse/Woodcock hunting through some of the nastiest cover you can imagine rain or shine.

The prices of the Rems are nothing to those mentioned above. I have a rack full of 8's and 81's to choose from so I am trying to build a variation collection of the nicest stuff I can find without getting super anal about it. I guess I am changing my tune in my old age saying why shoot a mint rifle when I others nice ones to shoot. Dennis
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wha-hoo, let's fire up the gun owner debate - shoot or don't shoot? 8-)

When I started I didn't even know there was a tune and I haven't been doing guns long enough to write my own... or have I? :?

I started with a NIB Weatherby then got the stuff: 5 boxes of ammo, Leopold rings and Leopold scope, nice case and there it set... just couldn't bring myself to fire it. (And, we're only talking Wal-Mart Vanguard SS, synthetic stock, etc.) Traded it for 3 used rifles that I do shoot.

Literally ended up with a safe-queen Model 8, for 2 years worried over scratching it, it rusting up, etc. finally sold it. Got more used stuff that I do shoot.

Got a NIB short gun, same thing - couldn't shoot it. Sold it got a used shooter!

:shock: Guess I do have a tune:
"I'm a dye in the wool shooter.
Ain't got nut'n I don't shoot.
If it's too pretty to shoot,
It ain't mine for long."

I'm thinking my tune sounds like Steve Lee (OK, ok - with apologies to Steve Lee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU ) :oops:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Very Very Nice. You don't see many in that good of condition. I wouldn't be shooting that one either.

As to the debate to shoot or not to shoot. Like most collectors I can line up on either side. I would not want ANY rifle that couldn't be shot but that doesn't mean that I shoot all that I have. The nice thing about having several of these rifles, you can shoot the ones that are not in the high end condition but are still very dependable.

I guess the bottom line does matter in this process and I try to protect my investments but still enjoy them.

Jack
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

THAT IS ONE IMPRESSIVE 81....but, I have to agree with Tx81...I would shoot it, if it was mine!!! I would shoot it, hunt with it, and enjoy it while I am still alive to do so. I am 66 years old, and I will probably never live long enough, nor have the $$$$$ to acquire a huge collection for every year of production. I will be satisfied with....oh, maybe 4-5....couple different calibers....maybe a couple more really nice ones....maybe one of the high grade ones if I happen to stumble onto one...."you know"....a small collection!!!!

I have a Colt Python 357 magnum that I probably shouldn't carry or shoot anymore when I hunt, but what good will that do for me? It is very nice, and I enjoy it. Someone else can deal with it after I am in heaven.

I do understand that some of your collections are investment assets, and I applaud your efforts. I am impressed!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

I am in the "Gotta Shoot Em" camp. Collecting for the sake of keeping fine examples of the "real thing" for future generations to see and admire is fine too just not for me. If I buy it and dont shoot it then it gets traded for something else I will. I like mine experienced so I can take em to the dance.
Goose
81police

Post by 81police »

Probobably the reason that gun looks as good as it does is because it hasn't been shot much in 61+ years.

Me personally I wouldn't shoot, I'd rather pick up one of 56,000+ other Model 81's that don't look anything like that. What a find!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm a think'n my experienced ones are fine for me and the 'eye candy" is fine for you other guys.
Last edited by imfuncity on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Post by 81police »

let me rephrase, keep the shooters as shooters! :)

I think I'm in the same line of thinking as Jack, preserve the ones that are investments (and enjoy looking and touching them!) and really enjoy the ones that are in less condition and shoot away!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I'd probably shoot it, at least once, but not on a regular basis.
And I already have a Model 8 and 81 that won't suffer much by shooting them
KEN