my "new" to me model 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
jiminthecorner

my "new" to me model 81

Post by jiminthecorner »

Hi, I fired it today at the farm and its just great...BUT.. I need aproper butt plate. What should I look for?? It had an old Pachmayer pad which was disintigrating and removed.
Any help for this old Canuck appreciated, Jim :!:
81police

Re: my "new" to me model 81

Post by 81police »

If the stock hasn't been cut down you could always find an original buttplate on ebay and put it on?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Agree with Cam, but…

You could also put on another "period-like" recoil pad as Remington sometimes (and maybe did this time) included it fit on the rifle from the factory.

Yup, I know - I should use my "flame retardant" computer to post such a thing but...
it was often done by Rem from the factory (Was yours? Hard to know of sure.)
it does make shooting more comfortable
it does not hurt the rifle and
a butt plate can eventually be found, then included or installed if one wants it "more-original".
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
tx81

Post by tx81 »

I went with a slip on recoil pad from LimbSaver for my 81.

When zeroing the scope last fall prior to hunting season, my shoulder was pretty much worn out on the 25 yard range. When I moved over to the 100 yard range to check my grouping, I was all over the target pretty much trying to anticipate the recoil. Will have to see how I do on the range this year with the new recoil pad.

My $.02 worth.