Weaver Side Scope Mount Question

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
DWalt

Weaver Side Scope Mount Question

Post by DWalt »

It just occurred to me that I had an old mounted Weaver K4 scope (still in the box) on a shelf in my garage. I don't even remember where I got it. Anyway, there is a mystery about the mount. The way it's set up, it would have to mount on the right side (Ejection port side) of a rifle, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the scope from the mount to flip it around so it would mount on the left side (or for that matter,to use it with conventional mounting rings). It looks like the mount was originally bent around the scope. Has anyone run into this? Note that it's missing the clamping screws, they are probably in a tin can somewhere in my garage, as at one time I considered taking a Dremel tool and a cutoff disc to the mount but thought better of it..

If someone just can't live without a vintage Weaver K4 in a side mount, I could probably be persuaded to part with it.
Attachments
WeaverK4.jpg
WeaverK4.jpg (228.79 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
Packmule

Re: Weaver Side Scope Mount Question

Post by Packmule »

not sure about the mount but would take the problem on if the price is right on the scope ......pm sent

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
81police

Post by 81police »

the one I had, the rings hooked into place on the backside of the mount. They could be wiggled loose after you removed the 4 ring screws. Maybe that one is a little different I dont know.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Ah.... I don't think I'd cut it off if I were you. I have not checked sales on fleaBay, etc. regarding one like this, but I think you might have an early* K model Weaver (introduced in '47) and especially being "in the box" it could be worth something.
*K4s were (are) a staple of Weaver, thus DOM could have been 'bout anytime but the mount would indicate something early.

According to Stroebel's "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes" many Weavers were sent out "with mounts" and some of the pictures look like your mount. In 1950 Weaver introduced the "Detachable Split Ring Top Mount", etc. IMHO it appears that prior to this a mount like yours with "quick disconnect thumb screws" was standard from the factory.

As to the right side vs. the left, I have one like that myself, makes no sense to me unless it was used on a single shoot or ... - there must have been a market for them.

Probably not much help but maybe enough to get you and others started.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

sharp eyes Mitch! Mine was the detachable split ring style, not like this one. Never knew they made them like that.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

The lack of a ZIP code on the box is evidence it is pre-1963. I see good condition vintage K4s are going on eBay from $50-up, but without the box and mount. I couldn't find any listed there with a side mount, but maybe there is something listed on GB or AA. I am reasonably sure it came from the Weaver factory with the side mount, as there is virtually no way it could have been attached later. Short of bending or cutting the mount, I don't think there is a way to remove the scope. However, the box says nothing about it having a mount attached.

I went way back in my collection of early Gun Digests, and couldn't find anything one way or the other about Weaver side mounts being supplied with scopes, or, for that matter, much else beside dimensions. The price listed for a K4 in 1950 was $45. That was serious bucks in 1950.

Additional information - the tube is stamped K4 60-C, and that may possibly help date it. Also it has just fine crosshairs, no Lee dot, post, or anything like that. Mount is stamped only Weaver Detachable Side - 1"

The right side mounting is a real puzzle. I've seen many rifles with left-side mounts, but I can't imagine what rifle could use a right side mount as that's where case ejection is. Maybe for a bolt action rifle built for a lefty?

At one time I had a side-mount Weaver scope on a Winchester 95 (back in the mid-1960s), but you could remove the scope from the mount on that one. So this mount is likely earlier.

Maybe someone will come up with an answer.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Quoting, Stroebel's "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes": K4 (1947-1984)
In 1954 the Weaver B4 & B6 were introduced.... In 1956 the 60B series "K" were introduced with their constantly centered reticles.... 1966, saw the "B" series rimfire scopes replaced by the "C" series rimfire scopes, which featured enlarged ocular and objective lenses.... (1970) the "C" rimfire scopes were replaced by the "D" series,....

And, it would appear that although they had "split rings" that they continued to ship scopes with (what I'm calling the permanent) mounts attached. I'm not surprised that there is nothing said regarding mounts as it was common for Weaver to have them, probably more noteworthy if they did not.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

As the K series scopes were in production since at least 1950 (the 1950 Gun Digest lists the K2.5 and K4), I wonder what the 60-x referred to. I did read some information in my old Gun Digests about some special sealing material used by Weaver to keep nitrogen in and moisture out. Maybe the 60- designation had something to do with that or other minor evolutionary improvements. As mine is a 60-C, it likely post-dates 1956.

I don't have much of a scope fetish. I have many of numerous makes and types, none of which are Leupolds or Swarovskies, and they all seem to be pretty good. But then I don't go hunting in Alaska, the Rocky Mountains, or anywhere else more challenging than the flatlands of South Texas, so I don't need a scope that will survive being dropped off a cliff during a blizzard. My favorite is a Tasco variable target scope I have mounted on an FN Mauser .220 Swift. I don't think scopes could get much better than that one.