scope mount?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
dwbradshaw

scope mount?

Post by dwbradshaw »

I have an 81 that I have used for years. It has served me well and taken some critters from time to time.
My eyes don't see so good anymore, and I need to mount a scope. I have read a number of posts on the subject, but my question is, starting fresh, what would the group recommend for a un-drilled gun. It is in fair shape, but its utility to me is as a shooter.
All advise is greatly appreciated.

dwbradshaw
81police

Re: scope mount?

Post by 81police »

dwbradshaw

Thanks for joining the forums! As you have read if you drill your rifle's receiver for a scope mount, in most cases the rifle's value plummets. All scope mounts are going to take holes drilled, the number of holes vary according to make and model. You can still find vintage mounts on ebay and gunbroker from time to time.

Have you tried a tang peep sight yet? There are plenty of 8/81's out there already drilled and tapped for scopes, sometimes that's easier than acquiring the parts and installing the mount yourself.

Nice to you're still hunting with yours. :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sir, please. Just slowly step away from the drill. JUST SAY NO to drills!!

Seriously, you want to trade for one with a scope? I have some.

Oh, by the way, welcome.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the other guys about the value. Tell me what you are looking for and I might be able to help you. I have several rifles that are already tapped for a variety of scopes. I will consider trading or outright selling one if you are interested. I have several that have scopes also.

Regards,

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Please don't drill.

Back in my younger days I foolishly drilled holes in the receiver for a side scope mount on a Winchester Model 1895 in excellent condition. The enormous damage I did was not apparent until some considerable time later when I wanted to sell it. Winchester collectors wouldn't touch it, and no one wanted to hunt with it. I eventually sold it for a pittance, essentially as a parts gun.

My advice would be to sell your 81 as-is (assuming it has no sentimental value to you) and buy something more modern to hunt with using the proceeds. As earlier stated, the ease of finding a scope mount for a newer gun is much better, and the cost is minimal. Also, getting ammunition if you buy a rifle in .308, .30-'06, .270, etc., is no problem - just go to Wal-Mart. You can't say that for any of the calibers that the Model 81 was chambered for. If you are wedded to a semi-auto, look around for a used Remington 742 or 7400. I have several, and have never had any cause to criticize them. In particular, my 7400 in .270 is as accurate as any bolt action I own, and it has never malfunctioned during the firing of several hundred rounds of both factory ammo and reloads. I bought it used in 2002 for $250, with scope mounts and rings already installed. I also have an older 740 in .308 which is equally reliable, but seems incapable of shooting a 5-shot 100 yard group smaller than 3". That is still better grouping performance than what a Model 81 is normally capable of.