Its A Keeper!

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Wildgoose

Its A Keeper!

Post by Wildgoose »

Finally made it above freezing, 52 F in fact! I couldn't get off early so just made it to the range in time for my first few test shots with the .30R Model 81 before the light was gone. It was a long afternoon at work waiting to get off and find out if the old pogo stick was going to go bang and cycle. She ran just fine. :D
The factory sights were not kind to my old eyes as expected and the rapidly fading light didn't help either but we managed three six inch groups of five shots after a few test rounds. One at fifty yards and the other two at one hundred. A very encouraging start all things concidered. The loads were minimum start weights for the 150 grain RN bullets so there is plenty of room to work up. I have repaired the scope base that had a stripped ring mount hole so I can get some glass on her pretty soon. That will do a lot to help out in getting the groups paired down to reliable minute of deer size. My days for shooting small groups with open buckhorns are long gone. Great rifle and round to work with. Glad I finally jumped in.