Thrown for a loop????

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Telson

Thrown for a loop????

Post by Telson »

Got my 81 home, downloaded, printed and studied the Model 8 manual, detail striped it for a through soak clean and scrub, every single piece of the gun had the same SN# stamped in which made me very happy until I got to the buttstock, someone cross threaded the Tang screw and it took some work to get out. The screw isn't to bad but the tang will need to be re-threaded(does any one know what thread size and pitch?) ok here's the "loop" every part on the gun has the same SN ending in 65 but when I removed the butt stock I found both the tang which machined with housing and the trigger group housing were stamped ending in 67????? Same SN minus the last two... Huh what does that mean, or is it normal? Seems odd to me? Any ideas ?
jack1653

Re: Thrown for a loop????

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Telson,

Welcome to the forum! I would say that there is someone else out there with a model 81 that has everything matching except the last two digits on their tang. I don't know if that is the case with your rifle, but it would make sense. It sounds like whoever put the rifle together may have been doing another rifle at the same time and did not double check the numbers. Mind you, this is just a guess on my part. Unless you are a very serious collector who wants everything to match, I personally would not worry about it. Many of us have rifles that do not have everything that matches.

Another wonderfrul thing about this rifle is that the parts are interchangeable making them easy to repair. I do not know the thread size, but a gunsmith should be able to fix it to match the original. Hang in there for a little bit and I am sure another member will tell you precisely the size of the tap that is needed to fix the crossed thread.

Good Luck and maybe you can post a picture for us.

Regards,

jack1653
Telson

Post by Telson »

Thanks Jack, Ive got a good smith I use to bail out occasionally
I'm just befuddled by the serial number thing and could understand
if it was just the trigger plate, but not 6 inches away from the SN
under "Woodsmaster" is a different SN on the same part lol.
Sam. I'll get a pic asap.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Sam,

I missed that little detail about the number on the receiver. I would rather think that this was just a case of mis-stamping the last two digits. Definitely something amiss with the numbering, but like I stated, it won't affect the shooting of the rifle.

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome. Indeed and interesting development but not that unusual. Like Jack said won't affect the shootability - Nor IMHO the collective value of the rifle. If it wasn't for Remington doing similar things like this semi-regularly, it might even have added value.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I wouldn't be too optimistic that the tang screw thread is anything standard, either Unified National (SAE) or Metric, and that you can find a properly sized tap. My experience with older guns is that threads seem to be specific to individual manufacturers and guns. I have had some luck in using various metric taps for cleaning up boogered internal gun screw threads, but these are not usually correct, even though sometimes close. A gunsmith may be able to get around this problem, and I have been known to weld up holes and re-thread them with a standard smaller thread size which is close, and to re-thread the screw with a die of the same size and pitch when all else fails. But that's a lot of work and is to be avoided if possible. If only the first few internal threads are damaged, you might try gently and VERY carefully drilling out the hole for a short distance and try again, if the external threads on the screw appear to be OK.

I emphasize that I know nothing about this specific tang screw thread size, and you could get lucky.
Telson

Post by Telson »

I turned a couple threads off of the screw to be able to start it properly and believe it should work for now if it gives me any more trouble I'll rethread both to 1/4-28 and call it good.