We Are Wondering

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
jack1653

We Are Wondering

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Fellas,

It has been awhile since a survey has been conducted on the forum. I would like to start a survey to gather information about the Model 81. 81police and I having been discussing several issues about the Model 81. We would like to solict the help of the members and other readers to supply some data about their Model 81. As many of you know from reading John Henwood's book about these rifles, there are some issues that beg the question when it comes to the serial numbering of the rifles. One particular question is; What is the last serial number produced for the Model 81? The literature would lead us to believe that the last serial number produced was for the year 1950 and that number is listed to be 55581.

Many of us know that there are Model 81 rifles with serial numbers higher than the 55581. I personally have four Model 81's with serial numbers above the last number printed in the "Book". One of these rifles has no barrel codes so I don't know the month of production and year of production. The highest serial number that is on my Model 81 is 56835 and as soon as I get it back from 2verpsters, I will know the barrel code, if it has one.

81police and I would like for you to share with us if you have Model 81 serial numbers that are higher than the 55581. We are curious just how many are still in circulation, or have become "safe-queens". If you have a serial number higher than the 56835 that I have posted above, would you share it with us? We would like to know the barrel code to determine when the rifle was made as compared to issued.

Simply enter the serial number, barrel codes, caliber and any other information about your rifle that you would like to share with the readers. 81police and I will massage the data and present the results in a table that will be shared with the readers. If you would like to particpate but do not want to publically display your rifle's serial number, you can use the PM feature and send the information directly to 81police and the confidentiality will be honored. It is our intent to determine the last rifle made. Whether we can accomplish this objective is dependent upon your help. When we feel we have "found" the last Model 81, we would like to get some pictures of the rifle for posting on the forum along with the results of the study.

I encourage all of you to submit suggestions on topics to be considered while we are doing this study. If there is something special that you feel would add to the study, please let us know.

Imfuncity, we may call on you for computer assistance in some table preparations and NO we aren't planning on "food" tables. :lol:

Thank you in advance for your contribution to the study.

Merry Christmas To All,

jack1653
DWalt

Re: We Are Wondering

Post by DWalt »

I think it would be a worthy project, but suggest it be done entirely by PM response instead of having a lot of follow-on responses to this posting. Then after a month or so, make another posting summarizing the results without mentioning individual submitters.

Should be some standard reporting format prescribed, such as Serial #; Date Code; Caliber; Grade; Any Unusual Features (whatever that might be, say, special presentation engraving, law enforcement or prison markings, extended magazine, documented connection with some famous person, event, or crime, etc.), and include all 81s, not just high-numbered ones. That could provide a better idea as to the relationship between serial numbers and date codes throughout the entire M81 production run.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

What dat?? An M81 party and no food? That's just plain wrong ... :o

Jack, might want to encourage responders to use the form you made up.

Good, worthwhile project - let me know when and how I can help.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey DWalt,

Mitch has a good point about using the form I have on the site. It answers a lot of the issues you have raised. That form takes some time to prepare and a lot of the guys don't want or don't have the time to complete the form. Try this link and see if this is what you are talking about.
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... eet-11.pdf

The reason I did not suggest the use of my form for the survey was to speed the process by asking for just a couple of entries.

Keep the feedback coming!

Jack
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack and I appreciate anyone willing to help out. The relationship between serial numbers and date codes are peculiar. A man may have a very high serial numbered Model 81, however another man may have a lower numbered gun but with a later date code. One can say I have one of the last receivers manufactured, the other can say well I have one of the last rifles "assembled". Just because you have a very high serial number doesn't necessarily mean you have one of the last guns made. It's very interesting. Please check your date codes too fellas, some rifles that don't necessarily have high serial numbers may have late date codes. The latest I have seen thus far (hopefully this survey will change that) is Oct. 1950.

We are also curious if there are any rifles out there having been assembled post-1950, perhaps in early 1951.

We appreciate any help, God bless!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I think the form is somewhat of an overkill for this project as it covers both 8 and 81, and has a lot of current condition inputs which are not too relevant. Best to stick with something like SN, date code, caliber, and grade (plus maybe anything unusual, such as police markings, etc.). But I still believe that it should include all 81s