Highest Model 81 Serial Number?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
DWalt

Highest Model 81 Serial Number?

Post by DWalt »

Today, I bought my first Model 81 at the local gun show. Metal finish is near-pristine, but both the stocks have some scarring, so I will probably have to refinish the wood. It may not be entirely original as it has a Pachmayr rubber buttplate. Did they ever come from the factory this way? In any event, the buttplate has been very professionally installed. Caliber is .30 Remington and the bore seems nice and shiny.

Now to my question - I note that the highest M81 serial number is supposed to be in the 55,500 area. Mine is 55,90X. What's the story on this? Obviously, mine was among the last produced.

I've had a lot of guns in my life, but never a Model 8/81, and I don't know anything (yet) about its operational mechanics or takedown, but I'll figure that out later. I'll come back to this site for more guidance.
jack1653

Re: Highest Model 81 Serial Number?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey DWalt,

Glad to hear you have purchased a 81. They are fine rifles and you will like shooting it. There are postings on the site on how to tear the rifle down and it is easy to do.

As to the serial numbers, there were several rifles made beyond the last serial number posted. I have several in the 56000 range and one that is near the 57000 mark. I know that they were still selling rifles from accumulated inventory after the last number posted. You will find the barrel code on the left side of the barrel just above the forearm and near the receiver. You can tell when the month the rifle was made by checking the first letter against a table listed on this site. The last two letter will tell you the year and most likely you will see "WW".

If we can be of assistance with your new rifle, just post the question and there are any number of people on the site that can provide answers.

Good Luck.

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

It's stamped OWW, and according to the code, that should mean a DOB of July 1950. Sorry I did not mention that in my first posting.

Fortunately, I have two boxes (40 cases) of unfired and unprimed .30 Remington brass. I'm going to try to load these using my .30-30 dies, which I think should work OK. I have some old Lyman reloading manuals that show suitable .30 Remington loads. After removing the forend, I did figure out how to separate the barrel from the receiver (very clever) and I think that's about as far as I want to go right now, as it seems everything is there and operational. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there anything specific I should check for before I attempt to fire it, which won't be until after Christmas?

I'm excited about shooting it. I had a chance several years ago to buy a minty Model 8, also in .30 Remington, but the owner and I couldn't get together on the price. So when I saw this one, I jumped at it, as the price was right.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey DWalt,

You are interpreting the code correctly. I am not a reloading authority but there are some guys on the forum that are. Maybe they can give you some insights into the reloading questions. If you got the gun broken down by trial and error, you can see how easy it is to do. As far as what else you should check, I would really think that if the action works smoothly and the safety works, then you should be ready to go. While you have it broke down, you could clean it if it needs it. Make sure the barrel is free from any foreign objects since it has probably been years since it has been used. Have fun with the first shooting. I KNOW you will enjoy shooting this fine rifle.

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I ran a patch with Hoppe's #9 down the bore, and it was absolutely clean. Previous owner must have cleaned it recently. I loaded up a dummy round using a .30R case and the .30-30 seating die, and it seems to function properly. Aside from being rimless and having a sharper case shoulder, the .30R and the .30-30 cases are very similar in the important dimensions. As I have a lathe, I am going to try modifying .30-30 cases to .30R, and that may require some fireforming due to the shoulder differences. As I said, I have 40 old but unfired cases, and that will probably be enough to last me for awhile for awhile, but I do like to experiment with case forming to duplicate odd/obsolete calibers.
81police

Post by 81police »

You do have a very late serial number, however going by the date code there are rifles "assembled" and shipped later than yours. One we have is Oct. 1950, I'll post a partial serial number tomorrow but it's not as late as your serial number. Remington did things interestingly back then!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator