My model 81 barrel tool

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
CharlesMRussell

My model 81 barrel tool

Post by CharlesMRussell »

This rifle has been in my family since 1941. It was my Dads rifle and was mine as a boy and now it in in my care. I am looking for a barrel tool so I can service the barrel. Image
81police

Re: My model 81 barrel tool

Post by 81police »

Hi Charles, I'd recommend doing a search on our forums. Lots of how-to posts for making your own.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Charles,

I have barrel shroud take-down tools for sale. Check the For Sale section of this forum.
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

CharlesMRussell wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:33 am This rifle has been in my family since 1941. It was my Dads rifle and was mine as a boy and now it in in my care. I am looking for a barrel tool so I can service the barrel. Image
Charles,
I am making a FN style barrel tool with a local gunsmith, very nice and knowledgeable guys, CNC machines and all. Waiting for the quote but they know that I want to make a possible run with people that are interested here on the site. This will be as close as possible without seeing original drawings for the tool, just based from existing pictures of the tool.
These can be cerakoted, or a few other finishes, or left in the raw material form. I grade steel part that won't break, they also have an idea on how to make it easier to use by clamping it through the barrel so the tool won't slip off. This could be offered both ways for display or original version as well as ease of use.
Please let me know if you are interested in a tool, and if anyone else is interested.
Thanks
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 10062 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Sir,

I would be interested in the “FN” tool. When you get all the particulars, send me an email to “jack1653@att.net”. Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Consider use of a 6pt 3/4" impact deepwell socket for stock. Might be less expensive for machining. I too would find this type of tool interesting. Especially if it could be attached to a ratchet wrench or impact tool. The T handle would be very easy for normal use, with the socket square a hi torque option. Less chance of marring a finish.
Phyrbird
SOKY
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Phyrbird wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 pm Consider use of a 6pt 3/4" impact deepwell socket for stock. Might be less expensive for machining. I too would find this type of tool interesting. Especially if it could be attached to a ratchet wrench or impact tool. The T handle would be very easy for normal use, with the socket square a hi torque option. Less chance of marring a finish.
Phyrbird, I totally understand where you are going with your idea there.
The intent though for this design is to be original as possible for the Collecting aspect of it as well and functional.
In the future there maybe versions like you are saying to come with good ideas like yours. but MK1 will be as close to original as possible.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

jack1653 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm Sir,

I would be interested in the “FN” tool. When you get all the particulars, send me an email to “jack1653@att.net”. Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

jack1653
Thanks Jack1653, I will let you know asap what costs will be. I will be posting pictures soon of the CAD and as the part is finished eventually.
Spread the word!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Jack1653, Phybird, Dgeorgarms,
Here is the images of the CAD model for the FN style tool,
These will be made in Stainless steel and polished.
The model is very close to final product, the first one for myself will be made soon, I will keep you posted on price.
Attachments
FN tool design.jpg
FN tool design.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 9048 times
FN tool design 2.jpg
FN tool design 2.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 9048 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
Bullpupone

Post by Bullpupone »

1913model8
Have you been able to get the tool production up and running? If so what is the price? And is there a waiting list?
BP-1
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Bullpupone,
I have had delays due to moving, etc. There is a list but so far only about 5 of you are waiting. The Price roughly quoted for a polished stainless steel tool will be around $100 mark. There will be an additional part that will help save the barrel rifling. So I don't have the full price of everything yet. I will be getting back to this project very soon. I will keep everyone posted.
I will put your name down for interest.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
canuck

Post by canuck »

I'm in for one - provided you will ship to Kanada!
Will keep my eye on this thread for updates.
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Canuck,
I will put you down for a tool! I will ship to Kanada haha.
If you could tell me what cal your rifle is then I can have the right barrel guide with the tool.
Shipping will probably be more $ but I can figure that out I'm sure.
For everyone else that is reading this that has the interest in the tool I will also need you Cal rifles too.
Thanks
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
canuck

Post by canuck »

I have all the calibers! 25 to 300
I didn't realize they were caliber specific - but makes sense I guess
Or, is it possible to change out the barrel guide on the tool?
If I had to choose only one caliber, it would be a 35
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Wow! Thats awesome! Lucky you are!
Yes the barrel guide will be interchangeable.
But since we are on this topic and you have all the calibers, can you please verify the nut and cap are all the same dimensions?
I do not have access to that info, would be greatly appreciated if this could be verified now to make any changes necessary to the tool.
I hope one day to own a .35!
thanks!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
Bullpupone

Post by Bullpupone »

Hi 1931model8,
Ijust saw your message, that is great I'll await to hear from you.
BP-1
canuck

Post by canuck »

1913Model8 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:02 am can you please verify the nut and cap are all the same dimensions?
Confirmed
Barrel nut and bushing are the same diameter (or extremely close) throughout all calibers - 25,30,32,35,300
Also of interest perhaps - the nut and bushing on an FN1900 are also the same diameter
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Canuck THANKS very much for confirming that! It will be put to good use!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

You can get by very easily without any special tools whatsoever if all you want to do is to remove and re-install the barrel and spring from the outer tube. But some here are sensitive about my describing how it is done.
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi, Guys just an update here on the barrel tool. I haven't gotten to it with LIFE-type stuff happening in the last year. I have the names still on the list for the tool to be made. Prices might have to be adjusted with inflation and all but I can update the tool cost once I get to it here. Hope to get to it very soon. If you would like to confirm your interest again just message me. thanks
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
canuck

Post by canuck »

I'm still in!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

I am still interested in your tool.

I know the frustration of waiting on such projects when you have to wait on someone else to do the machining or production. Just let me know when you get them in and know the price of the tool. Will the price include shipping?

Regards,

jack1653
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

I should be able to add the cost of shipping also when I get the new cost of the tool plus where it is being shipped.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Could I be added to the list of getting a tool ?? John Taylor
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

54bullseye wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:04 pm Could I be added to the list of getting a tool ?? John Taylor
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Everyone, If you would please send me a private message saying that you are interested in the tool that would be great. this will be easier to keep track of the names. Thanks for all the interest! Also, another thought I had is maybe putting these in a small wooden box for storage or display. If anyone has an interest in that too let me know. I can then draw something up. Also I need the caliber or multiple calibers you want for the rod that goes into the barrel. I will figure out the additional cost as well in the near future for what each one will cost.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

CharlesMRussell wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:33 am This rifle has been in my family since 1941. It was my Dads rifle and was mine as a boy and now it in in my care. I am looking for a barrel tool so I can service the barrel. Image
Hi Charles, looking to see if I can add you to the list for the tool? More people I get the less each one cost.
I need to know how many calibers you own.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

canuck wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:25 pm
1913Model8 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:02 am can you please verify the nut and cap are all the same dimensions?
Confirmed
Barrel nut and bushing are the same diameter (or extremely close) throughout all calibers - 25,30,32,35,300
Also of interest perhaps - the nut and bushing on an FN1900 are also the same diameter
HI Canuck, Can you give me the dimensions of each barrel cap for each Cal. that you checked a while ago for me for making the FN style tool? I need to see the average and potentially the biggest you have in Dia. I know you said extremely close of the same I need it to make sure I am at the right spec, and compare it to mine as well as figure out machine tolerance to go with.
These are very close to having a quote. Potentially looking at $175-200 per tool, minus the shaft pilot for each cal, the tool includes one metal shaft pilot.
I am looking to do plastic pilot over the shaft so that marring or damage to the rifling absolutely shouldn't happen. I have a different post on this. Think of a barrel remer pilot bearing but plastic and longer.
-25=?
-30=?
-32=?
-35=?
-300=?

Thanks! I still have you down for a tool.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Everyone, I am currently working on CAD revision and development for the FN Tool design.
For everyone I have listed I need verification again on who wants a tool more importantly how many calibers you each have?
I will be making the shaft common in metal and the pilot that is full length in plastic that goes over the shaft and sits against the rifling. Attached image below.
-Hibby83 -
-Irish32709 -
-54Bullseye - All Calibers
-Bullpupone -
-Jack1653 -
-Phyrbird -
-D George Arms -
-C Cole - 300 and 35
-Bandersnatch -
-Tand2cs -2 tools, plus two sized rods
-CharlesMRussel -
-Chase1949 -
-Canuck- All Calibers

Getting close to a final number. I have to make parts through a few different companies to cut cost. Probably in the neighbor hood of 250 per tool not including shipping.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-26 110017.png
Screenshot 2023-07-26 110017.png (154.7 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi guys, I present to you the prototype #1 of the FN Tool. Look at attached pictures. Fits like a glove. I checked the 3D print to my CAD on how close the print is in tolerance. Very close to accurate.
The print is not strong enough to crack the barrel bushing nut lose as I figured that though. It is tough enough though to tap and die threads.
So guys really the next step is CNC.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (530.22 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (562.41 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (564.6 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Stupid question probably but why do you need rods for each caliber ? I would think the 25 cal would also work for the 30cal and the 32 would also work for the 35 cal. Or maybe it has to fit the barrel tight ?? Just wondering. John Taylor
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

54bullseye wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:11 pm Stupid question probably but why do you need rods for each caliber ? I would think the 25 cal would also work for the 30cal and the 32 would also work for the 35 cal. Or maybe it has to fit the barrel tight ?? Just wondering. John Taylor
It does for sure it holds it in place correctly from teeter tottering. Also, the neat thing is, if for some reason the side screw lock doesn't line up (mine did perfectly) then you can take the barrel off the gun and rotate the barrel to line up the hole on the tool etc. (I have a little bit of tolerance in place on the side lock screw point) As the text says here on the site the intent is to crack the barrel nut loose then line up the hole to the barrel cap and screw in the side lock grabbing both at the same time. When cracking the Barrel bushing loose this will make the gap between the face of that and the side hole shorter especially when trying to get it at the right rotation. Also the rods keeps it centered when you lock down the side lock. In other words, this thing is doing 3 things at once.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com