81 with a compass in the stock

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Tyrone Slothrop

81 with a compass in the stock

Post by Tyrone Slothrop »

I saw something interesting today.

Background-- I bought a model 81 a couple of months ago, a .300 Savage made in December 1945. I had always wanted one and I finally got one. This one has a little personality. In addition to overall Very Good condition, there is a little compass, about the size of a dime, glued in to the comb of the stock. The compass is still in good working condition.

Well, as is my wont, when I've bought something, I keep looking at similar guns for sale, I guess so I can convince myself I got a good deal. Tonight on GunsAmerica I encountered a Model 81 in .300 Savage of September 1945 manufacture that also had a compass glued into the comb of the stock. Exact same location, exact same compass.

So I have to ask, are there other Model 81's out there with this little embedded compass? This couldn't be coincidence.
norm

Re: 81 with a compass in the stock

Post by norm »

Model 81's are not the only rifles with a compass in the stock. I have a sporterized Krag and a Marlin 336 built in 1948 that have it.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I have 2, one in a spare buttstock.
What's amazing is most of them still work. Some are nearly 100 years old.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Christmas day 1962 with a hunt for hogs and deer in the coastal marsh and oak hammocks of NE Florida. Mid afternoon the Sea Fog came in so thick you could cut it with a knife. Long night camped in the drippy woods and missed the big Christmas dinner. Sure would have been nice to have had your rifle with the little compass. Down here the moss grows all the way around the trees. At least we had some matches so had a fire.
If you are wondering whether the compass was a factory installed item I don`t believe so. Lots of gunshops offered them for sale and would inlet your stock or pistol grip and install.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:I saw something interesting today.

Background-- I bought a model 81 a couple of months ago, a .300 Savage made in December 1945. I had always wanted one and I finally got one. This one has a little personality. In addition to overall Very Good condition, there is a little compass, about the size of a dime, glued in to the comb of the stock. The compass is still in good working condition.

Well, as is my wont, when I've bought something, I keep looking at similar guns for sale, I guess so I can convince myself I got a good deal. Tonight on GunsAmerica I encountered a Model 81 in .300 Savage of September 1945 manufacture that also had a compass glued into the comb of the stock. Exact same location, exact same compass.

So I have to ask, are there other Model 81's out there with this little embedded compass? This couldn't be coincidence.
Yep, got one too! 300 Savage 1949. Note small compass set in butt stock near the add on recoil pad. 8-)
gwg35

Post by gwg35 »

I started hunting in 1958 and boy was there a lot of guns with a compass in the stock, all makes and models, little to big what ever size you liked !! :D