Looking for parts sources

Posts about the Model 8
Wilderness8

Looking for parts sources

Post by Wilderness8 »

I'm the proud owner of a "new to me" 1907 Model 8 after 17 years of patiently searching. Can anyone please share parts sources with me? Mine is missing the butt plate and I may want to look into different sites. Thanks!
brian.35

Re: Looking for parts sources

Post by brian.35 »

Hi wilderness8,
I have a similar butt plate situation with my 81. My search has turned up a couple of sites with a variety of Remington butt plates. I can't vouch for their quality and I don't know which plate would be appropriate for your rifle but they might be worth a look.
http://www.gungrip.com/items_052.html
http://www.vintagegungrips.net/rebu.html

Brian
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Wilderness8,

I don't have any particular parts store, but I can share with you my way of finding parts.

I take a long vacation. Each town I come to, I look for the gun stores and/or sporting goods stores. I found a great Model 81 this way and let an FM slip through my fingers. I found an old, icky green cabinet in the back of a gunsmith's shop with a parts bin labled "old remington". I found old and new (never used is a better description) parts and bought them all. If you find a Model 81, trade it for Model 8 parts guns.

I belong to SCI, Elk Foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, Sheep Foundation and the like. I ask everyone I meet if they know anything about the Model 8 and 81s. This is somehwat better than Gun Broker. One gets to actually see the rifle and can make good decisions on relative worth easier. I have a friend that is an NRA Range Manager and he is looking for me.

I go to every gun show that I can. I used to see several Model 8 and 81s at each show, but they usually had problems-different serial numbers. Now, these are parts guns and I can't find them anymore. This is still a very good method.

I surf the web. Google up every word you can think of for description. The more money you have, the easier it is to get parts guns. E-bay is for real-real suckers.

It always helps to be lucky! The old guy six doors up might just have a parts gun under his bed. My folks used Model 8s fron 1922 until 1948 and always had a parts gun somewhere. And, I swear, some of the forum members can just smell the parts guns as they cruise through town.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I still need a .25 Rem barrel assembly. I'll find it. Sacramento, Denver, Houston, Miles City, Powell, Taos, Gunnison, etc.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
81police

Post by 81police »

For the curved hard rubber Model 8 buttplate there are good quality modern reproductions you can find on ebay.

For he 81, you can also find it on ebay, the buttplate was used on a couple other Remington rifles too.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator