What is the story behind the serial numbers?

Posts about the Model 8
jack1653

What is the story behind the serial numbers?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I have been wondering if anyone else has noticed the serial number issue on the model 8? If this issue has been discussed before, point me to the posting, please. After being on the site for more than a year, I just now noticed this issue. If I were not trying to get a rifle for each year of manufacture, I probably would not have noticed this anomaly.

The serial number list on this site and in Henwood's book show the highest number in 1936 to be 69581 and is assumed to be the last serial number for the model 8 production. The confusion, at least for me, comes from the years 1937, 1938 and 1939. The serial number for those years is lower than the 1936 high number of 69581. Can one assume these rifles were manufactured in 1936 and sold in the "clean-up" process that occurred during the transition to the model 81? If that assumption is true, what would be the rationale for issueing rifles in 1936, 37 and 38 with serial numbers lower than the last rifle produced? It just seems strange and unexplained.

If anyone has one of these rifles that has a serial number in the range of 69389 thru 69490, please contact me. I would like to see some pictures and talk with you about this oddity. At least I don't have to try and find these three years to meet my objective.

I am still in need of finding a rifle made in 1933 and would appreciate any assistance that would help me in getting a rifle made in 1933. There is nothing odd about this year or the rifle and I know there has to be one sitting guard in a closet or gun cabinet that would like a new bunch of rifles in which to interact. I am getting too weird with these rifles as many of you can probably tell. Anyway, I hope someone can shed some light on this issue. Maybe I should send an inquiry to the Remington Soceity for an explanation.

Thanks for the help,

jack1653
Last edited by jack1653 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Re: What is the story behind the serial numbers?

Post by 81police »

jack1653 wrote: Can one assume these rifles were manufactured in 1936 and sold in the "clean-up" process that occurred during the transition to the model 81?

jack1653
I would lean towards that assumption. When dating these rifles you really have to go by the date code not the serial number, unless of coure the rifle is prior to 1921. The receiver could have been manufactured months or years prior to the full rifle having been assembled and shipped.

Take for example your 2nd type FBI rifle manufactured in Sept. 1944. We have a rifle whose serial number is 7 digits LOWER than your rifle but assembled 6 months later in March 1945.

I don't know why Remington kept producing those small handful of Model 8's, probably to get rid of existing inventory until it ran out. Information at hands shows that for a period, Model 8's and Model 81's were manufactured at the same time.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

If you go back to my post on Nov. 1, 2009 with topic of Model 8 Serial Numbers, you will find that I was trying to show the math is incorrect in adding the 640 rifles in 1936 to the 1935 total of 68841. The latest serial number for 1936 should be 69481 and NOT 69581 as shown by Henwood and duplicated on this site. That would make the serial numbers for 1937, 1938 and 1939 be in perfect sequence. Either Henwood or Remington added an extra 100 rifles in 1936 or it could be just a typo in Henwoods book.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Robo...

I knew I had read something about this on the forum but couldn't remember where. That makes perfect sense and I thank you for bring it to my attention. I guess I can continue looking for three more years in the model 8. It would be a good find if I could find these 3 years. You don't have any, do you? I just had to ask.

Have you been doing any glass work recently? I bought a bunch of glass to do a tiffany, but can't get in the mood to do it. Another $400 dollars I could have spent on a Remington!!

Thanks again for your clarification.

jack1653
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I do have serial number 69551 with I think AE barrel date code. The E is stamped real light on the bottom and at first I thought to be an F. I have looked with high power magnifying glass and it is an E. That makes it March of 1936.

As you can see, this does not follow any of the charts in Henwood's book. The serial number by date chart would make this one made in late 1935. This is probably correct and the rifle did not ship from the factory until March 1936. These were low production depression years.

So, with that said, if you are trying to get one gun from each year, you will have to decide whether it will be production years, shipping years or barrel date code years after 1920.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

At this point I have been working on the production years and using the serial numbers in Henwood's book to make that determination. Whether that is correct or not, that is what I have been using and I need 1933 and 1943 to complete the set.

I am sure as I move through this process I will move into the other two categories with emphasis first on the barrel codes. I would imagine that I have the majority of the years covered but will have to take the time to get all that data sorted out to determine what I still need.

I have also been thinking of picking one year and try to get a set of barrel codes. I think I have one year in the model 81 that has several different codes and that should be a good start.
I have one model 8 year that has each of the calibers available including the 25-35 and 30-30.

The trouble with this collecting, there are so many options and so little money. What's a guy suppose to do?

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Obviously... you build a bigger gun room! :lol: I'm working on feeling sorry for you and your problem Jack but somehow I'm just not getting there. :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine