Replacing rear & front sights...how hard?

Posts about the Model 8
CoastieFlo

Replacing rear & front sights...how hard?

Post by CoastieFlo »

Howdy, new guy here and im looking at a model 8 (1907 mfg)...its had a funky scope mount made and currently attached on the sight base (drilled grrrr) and on the side of the receiver (drilled and with 5 screws gggrrrrrrrr)...anyway I know its just a 'shooter' grade but it has no rear or front sight. Im just going to use it for plinkin and hunting, so how much would a person be into it putting a rear sight (original or at least one that would work....or even an aftermarket receiver sight) and front sight (again it could be any brand thats going to work without too much smithing..unless an orig is about the same price). Hey thanks a lot, this is a nice site
imfuncity

Re: Replacing rear & front sights...how hard?

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome. It sounds to me like you are coming into these rifles from the same place I did - if your 5 holes looks like mine.
Stith 5hole 2x1.jpg
Stith 5hole 2x1.jpg (96.02 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
If so, it is a Stith mount, fairly common in it's day. As one gun store owner told me, "I got tired of kicking the box of those mounts around so I pitched them a few years ago. Wish I had them now for all the internet buyers." The scope, usually 7/8" Alaskan although there are others.

As to iron sights or peep sights, Remington regularly installed almost any kind of sight that was available therefore you could do the same.
Last edited by imfuncity on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
CoastieFlo

Post by CoastieFlo »

WOW u got it! except there is a few more holes than that too..... :(
thank you for the info!
Attachments
copy of DSC04490.JPG
copy of DSC04490.JPG (99.24 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the picture, we love them. Plus, I don't read so well ;) - sorry, missed that you already had the mount and scope. What scope do you have? Is it clear and usable? And what caliber is your 8?

Personally, I'd suggest that you keep the scope and mount as they are often hard to come by when you need them (resale) and the extra holes will not enhance the value of your gun. There are folks like me that have the holes and need your kind of hole fillers - if you are pitching them. :D (I have several pieces of Stith and one complete mount but I need one more.) Note: if you do keep it mounted, you will probably want to rotate the scope 90 degrees, it looks like the scope may be far enough forward but normally on this set up they need to be rotated to keep the ejected cases from beating up the dial knob.

The extra three holes near the bottom and rear of the receiver were likely for a Lyman 41R receiver peep sight according to my pictures. There are several more helpful pictures in Henwood's "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles". (As an aside, I deleted my earlier posts attachment, after I realized that the sights chart only had Remington parts no. listed, which would do you no good regarding getting the proper sight.)

Enjoy, they are great fun guns.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

This seller has several 8s and 81s for sale (also a member on this forum). This auction has good pictures of the Lyman 41R receiver peep sight. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =192342659

As to your front sight, it should be an easy fix, they are standard size. They are also often broke off; therefore getting an "original" isn't much of an issue as most have been replaced. And, I have noticed that "old ones" at gun show are often marked King, Lyman, Marble, etc.; but for a shooter the only things that real matter are height and visibility.

We do need more pictures :D plus keep us posted on how it shoots, etc.
CoastieFlo

Post by CoastieFlo »

thanks for the info guys.......ive just been looking at this one so far, its not mine yet.

another question....what kind of value would be a 'good deal' on a model 8 in this 'fixer' kind of condition??

here is the sights btw......would the old scope be worth anything?
Attachments
8 back sight.JPG
8 back sight.JPG (128 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
CoastieFlo

Post by CoastieFlo »

the rest..
Attachments
8 right side.JPG
8 right side.JPG (120.4 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
8 front sight.JPG
8 front sight.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You will have a project with this one. Way pass just sliding in a dove tail sights! :o Odd that someone would take off the front sight base too. I am no help to you on that.

As to the scope and mount, yes they are usually worth something to those us with the hump backs. From your picture it looks like the mount is a bit worse for the wear. Also I have two or three those kind of bases - the 5 holes are pretty close to the same but not exactly, at least when it comes to the holes in my rifles. Is the scope clear with a good reticule, what's the condition of the exterior, the glass, and what kind is it? As an example I was given some of the Stith parts not complete. I found a set for $45 in very good condition. And, I found an Alaskan scope in a box of old scopes, at $10 it was a steal with excellent glass. So, deals can be found with patience. Therefore, again since you don't have other sights, if what you have is useable I'd keep it on the rifle. JMHO.
CoastieFlo

Post by CoastieFlo »

yeah the front sight appears to have been attached with a screw and base........the only replacement ones I see online are for dovetailed barrels, so I dont know whats up with that. Would a base be screwed on that has a dovetail in it? and then the actual sight blade goes in that? The scope is junk, I just wanted to get it back to 'normal' iron sights configuration but the more I research the more its looking to be a money pit.
81police

Post by 81police »

my suggestion would be to forget the rear sight. Use a flip Lyman or Marbles tang sight and have your front sight base reinstalled with a high post front sight.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
CoastieFlo

Post by CoastieFlo »

I know a tang site is spendy.......but about how much for a front sight base and front post? Will a more modern one fit the threads on that or ? thanks