The auction that is driving me crazy.

Posts about the Model 8
ROBOPUMP

The auction that is driving me crazy.

Post by ROBOPUMP »

GunBroker auction 186575364. Please, will some of you experts make some comments or advise your thoughts on mine.

Rifle is in great shape, but the serial number is a fake. It shows to be Y61 and a overstamped 4 or Y61 and some other symbol where the serial number should be. We know it is not serial number 614 or 61, because only 35 cal were made in these low numbers. We know that it is not a prototype of the smaller calibers, because it would have a barrel extention stamping of 30-30 Rem. It has the second style magazine with the single side clip.

I have several model 8's and this one appears to not have a serial number or it has been ground off and at some time, some one restamped it with a assembler's or fitter's stamp. Henwood says some of the codes were combinations of letters and numbers up to three numbers.

The seller claims to not even know whether this is a model 8 or a model 81. He sure knew how to pull the barrel back out of the jacket and lock it to take pictures of the fitter's stamp. I don't think I have seen anyone do this on any other auction. He must know more about these guns than he lets us know. I don't think any of the barrels are serial numbered to the rifles, but some of the barrel jackets are. I have some barrels stamped with Y21 and etc. I have some that have the serial number on the bottom of the barrel jacket adapter where it fits up to the receiver. If you look at the picture of a close up of this area, it looks to me like the serial number has been ground off. I think it is only on the ones before the model number and serial numbers were moved to the side of the receiver that have the serial number on the barrel jacket.

The barrel jacket stamping is of the type three, which probably does not mean this was a prototype rifle that got out in the market.

This is a great looking rifle that appears that the wood has been refinished, but not sanded. The cheeks are very prominent. It has the rare top tang rifle butt plate, a Marble rear sight and many other pluses. Just no serial number. The only reason I can think of that someone would remove the serial number is that the rifle was used or involved in some type of criminal activity.

I would be in on the bidding on this one except for the things mentioned above. Or maybe I should be bidding and this is a unique rifle.
imfuncity

Re: The auction that is driving me crazy.

Post by imfuncity »

Agree that something about this one doesn't add up. It is even more crazy now considering the buyer. I suspect we will see it for sale again ... by the current owner or the new owner, perhaps w/ different parts.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Well, I see that the auction has ended with our friends S and S Hunt Club. Are they member on this site?

I am still courious about the true serial number. There are four other places that the serial number could be. The wood. Both should have the serial number on them. The trigger plate should have the serial number on the lower tang. The butt plate should have the serial number on the inside.

I wonder why I make these post that seem important to me and I get no responses. I do respect your option to not respond until an auction has close to protect the seller.

Regards.
robopump
81police

Post by 81police »

Just a model 8 with the serial number ground down and a new one stamped. Not the first I've seen, certainly not the last. Why was this done? I have no clue, but I doubt it's some prototype firearm.

Looks like it went for a decent price anyways.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Robo,

It appears that we were both puzzeled by this auction. I was bidding because as 81police said, it was different. I think the points everyone raises about any of the rifles are valid and usually someone will respond. Many times I wait for more knowledgable members to respond. It is quirk of mine not to respond to things that I may be interested in bidding for fear of tipping my hand as to the level of interest.

I often bid against fellow members as you and I did on this rifle. I don't do it to irritate other members and I am sure they don't do it to irritate me. I figure we are all grown-ups and if we want it bad enough, we will bid to get it or pass and let the other bidder get it.

jack1653
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Robo,
Please don't take this as preaching, but if it seems to good to be true-it probably is!
I tried several times to get information on Model 8/81s on Gun Broker. Some even said they would respond and provided conflicting information from what I could see on the site photos. So let the buyer beware! Someone above said it best-the serial numbers should match-unless you want to take a chance. When I used to go to gun shows in the 60's and 70's, I saw many Model 81 barrels on Model 8 receivers. Some are still obvious on auction sites. Lets face it, a barrel blows up on a Model 8 so you get a cheap Model 81 and put the barrel on the Model 8 so it looks like a lower serial number.

Also, many of us are not experts in these guns, only bitten with the "Mummy tomb disease" called collecting, so we may not respond, especially on the various assembly marks and test guns. While Henwood's book is very enlightening, what is not in the book is also very interesting. For instance, various aftermarket gunsmith "proof marks" and dates stamped on the hidden part of the trigger guard. And, yes, there are "hot" guns out there.

Shoot Straight!
Behemotosh
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Well, well, well. I see this rifle is back up for auction on Gunbroker 192142010. You guys were right.
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Wow! I can't believe how many of us have checked out this particular Remington! I too emailed/questioned all the possible aspects of this rifle. The seller stated he would not remove the butt or butt plate to verify their serial number. I asked twice, one on each auction! The reply was the same, he didn't want to marr the screws! He has since removed the second auction. I agree with the community that there is some funny business about this particular rifle and its "Y614" supposed serial number. Too many things are just NOT right! Definately a BUYER BEWARE situation. Thanks guys for all the postings on this to help us all!
Remcrazy
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

And look what I just ran accross today.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.a ... 7#topoflot
81police

Post by 81police »

At least the seller put, "Please look carefully at the serial number photo- possible problems".
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

So, Y614 will not go away ... $80 would be about right, just to see what it really is :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Well, I see some "lucky" individual won it for $175. If they don't use it for a shooter, project builder or the like, I suspect it will be back around the block for yet another ride!
Remcrazy
ROBOPUMP wrote:And look what I just ran accross today.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.a ... 7#topoflot