Who hunts with a 8?

Posts about the Model 8
Shooter5

Re: Who hunts with a 8?

Post by Shooter5 »

I sure plan on it just as soon as I can get out! Like you, I also plan on taking a 1903, probably a 1903A3 but am considering a 1903.
Will post a range report when complete.
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
81police

Post by 81police »

81 for me but usually for fun, my real hunting is done with a Browning BAR
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ridgeranger

Post by ridgeranger »

pack, i am also hunting maine this oct. this year going to take my 8 in 35 along with my mod.11 12 ga. we hunt out of haynsville on the nb.boarder. there is a great bunch of houndsmen that hunt in that area. they kind of network together. lots of action. last year put up 6 bears in 5 days. almost everyone uses buckshot out of tight barrels. we hunt the adirondacks every year early bear and late deer season. my mod. 8 will be with me then. my hunting buddies and i agree no modern guns in the big woods. good luck gary
Horseless Trooper

Post by Horseless Trooper »

While what I do can't actually be called hunting, I did wander around the woods last hunting season with my Model 8. I have come to believe my last name is the ancient Irish word for "Hunts Poorly". Oh well, at least I didn't have to drag some poor dead buck through the woods. I wonder how the .32 is on red squirrells as thats the only thing I seem to be able to hunt with any success.
30Gov03

Post by 30Gov03 »

Can't really call what I do "hunting", either, but I'll be in the woods again this year with my 1909-vintage .35, dividing my time equally with a Winchester Model 1895 in .30-'03.

Jim
supersporter40

Post by supersporter40 »

I took my 25 out this fall for Whitetails. Had one mid 130's buck hop our fence after the does. Had to sprint 300yds to get as close as I dare to the patch of brush they went in. The does ran west again and not far behind was the buck, but still another 300yds off. I let him go and not 20 minutes later was a boom whack in the neighbors place. Bummer.

Went to a new hunting area as a wildcard and had bucks scrapping not far from me. They were just spikes but it was intense and great to watch. Their commotion coaxed out a buck that had five points on one side...... the only side he had left. :D I figured that would be a cool one to try for so I took not one but two shots at him. No dice, so far I am not a fan of a tang sight, give me the standard irons anyday. Maybe next year. 8-)
Rev.Jeff

Post by Rev.Jeff »

I took a good eating doe last year with mine in .35 Remington. I didn't weigh her but estimate she was in the 140 to 150 lb. area. Knowing that my great-grandfather's old hunting rifle was out there fulfilling it's designed purpose once again was a great feeling.

I anticipate carrying it for all my future big game hunts here in Maine unless something else catches my interest.

Rev. Jeff
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

But of course. And my Model 141 pump, my 1895 Wichester (repro) in 30-06.
The 141 is scoped, so it goes more.
War Eagle!
ikeda

Post by ikeda »

I hunt with my M8 35 cal and 32 cal. My son hunts with his 35 cal M81. It was my intention to bring the 35 to Namibia this past August but circumstances prevented it. Namibia is the only country in Africa that allows semi-autos to be imported for hunting. The next time I go i'll be taking it though. Anyone interested in hunting Namibia drop me a line. I can take care of ya.