Poor thing ....

Posts about the Model 8
rem81auto

Poor thing ....

Post by rem81auto »

Boy, some of theses guns go through alot. I bought this early 8 (*45850) for parts. I know the butt is trash but I have a couple questions for curiosity sake. The forend is smooth but the butt is checkered and appears to be correct in style at least ?? ... The cheeks have a unique shape and are well done but I suspect are not kosher ... what say ye !
Behemotosh

Re: Poor thing ....

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey Rem81Auto,

Very interesting stock. I am not an expert about the cheeks, but they do look like ones on good higher grades. As for the form of the stock-maybe it was done the day after a beerfest or something.

Again, I am no expert by any means, but I have seen some very shoddy stocks-especially in the lower grades. I have one that is half burl and half yellow sap wood. There are no cheeks what so ever, and the burl side does not fit the butt plate, being 1/8 th inch shy. My Dad had this gun since it was new and has not done any finish work on it.

Shoot Straight!
Behemotosh
81police

Post by 81police »

Wow, interesting! The pattern of checkering and the cheeks don't look consistent with Remington work. What kind of buttplate is that?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Cam,

the buttplate consists of a piece of leather and lots of nails ... nice huh ?? ... it's one of the many reasons why I call it " Poor Thing ". :lol: