What am I missing here? Model 8 on GB

Posts about the Model 8
9.3shooter

What am I missing here? Model 8 on GB

Post by 9.3shooter »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902546907

Why do you suppose this one seems to be going thru the roof?

I dont get it.
MinnesotaDan

Re: What am I missing here? Model 8 on GB

Post by MinnesotaDan »

The rarity in this rifle is the buttplate. A somewhat rare "semi-military" "rifle" style steel buttplate. Page 48 of Henwood's book details this.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

I did see that but Holy Smoke, it went over $1600! Hard to see where a butt plate adds another 7-800$ to the value. It even needs a new forearm!
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I totally agree. I sure would not pay that much for that rifle, but to each his own.

I just do not find that variant to be that interesting.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

9.3shooter wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 pm https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902546907

Why do you suppose this one seems to be going thru the roof?

I dont get it.
MinnesotaDan wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:25 pm I totally agree. I sure would not pay that much for that rifle, but to each his own.

I just do not find that variant to be that interesting.
Why are 8/81's "going thru the roof"? Same reason they all are-certain buyers are willing to pay $200-800 over what they should be selling for (value). A year ago watching GB, 8/81's were selling top for a average300 Savage/35 Remington caliber rifle around $700-800 for a good quality, good shape rifle depending on model. Some of the other calibers were selling for a bit more-some of the older 8's also. Last fall say Oct/Nov the same shape rifles/calibers were selling for around $850 top bid. I've been wanting a 35 Rem for a while, should have bought last summer. When the $800-850 prices hit, I held off, thought I'd wait for the hysteria to cool. Now the same rifles are pushing $1000-1400. Too much, except for some rare caliber, esp in the 8's. Not going to succumb to the buying hysteria that is hitting ammo/components and a few other things in the firearms hobby.

I may have missed the boat though, although I wasn't going to get on the same boat as some sellers selling for more, much much more than worth. It's just a personal "not going to do it thing"! Was at a gun show in Wells, Minn this last Saturday. One seller had a Mod 81 in 300 Savage, a 81 in either 30 or 32 Rem, and a Mod 8 in either 30 or 32. Can't recall which way it was, anyway, price was only $600-I believe $675 tops depending on which rifle. All three were in good shape, two of them had after market recoil pads attached, no D/T holes in the receivers, good bores. Told myself, buying all three and selling for a little profit would be possible. Thing is if shooters would avoid scammers, rip off artists, those that buy up everything possible to resell at 3-4 times value, there would be more available and lower prices. There's POS in every thing unfortunately. Already have two 300 Savage's, 30 or 32 would be nice, but lack of brass and the expense of it, 'naw'. Left em for someone who is interested. Probably should have recorded the serial numbers to see if they end up on GB or other online sales. Hope they don't end up on Ebay all parted.

Hope buyers paying $1000 plus for 8/81's can coup their investment someday if and hope they do go back to reasonable prices. Recall back in the 2015/2015 wacko days, guys were paying $1200-1500 for entry lever AR's that are selling new now for less than $800. AS was posted 'to each his own', just my opinion and 2-cents.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

There may be some economic factors in play with these prices, also. With all of the (printed paper) cash put in to the economy via Covid Stimulus payments, Paycheck Protection Programs, and unemployment benefits, inflation is inevitable, and is in fact, here as we speak. Look at housing prices, and gasoline prices. Wood prices are sky high, too.

As certain people have some cash, they realize that it is better to buy something of value, rather than let the cash sit and lose buying power. Couple that with the fact that many people entered in to gun ownership for the first time recently, and you see guns, like other things, begin to appreciate.

Salaries are going to go up, too. Many people say that they will not go back to work for their "old" wage/salary. A push is on to increase the minimum wage. (Inflation at it's core).

Prices of guns have certainly gone up. They are not coming back down this time I do not think. Prices will stabilize in the next year. But you will not get a Model 8 or Savage 99 for what you could get one for a couple of years ago, probably ever again.

Just my opinion, mind you. Doesn't mean that I am right.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

You have as good a chance at being right as anyone else.

I too have been looking for a decent .35, preferably an 81 and had bid on one last week. My top bid was over $900 and it went for over $1200 I think.
I may put in a bid on one or the other couple still on GB, that right now have no bids, but then again I may not. I note one other member here made a good snag a week or so ago on a nice .35 as well.
Surprised he hasnt mentioned it yet, but probably hasnt got it in his hot little hands yet. :D
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

9.3shooter wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm You have as good a chance at being right as anyone else.

I too have been looking for a decent .35, preferably an 81 and had bid on one last week. My top bid was over $900 and it went for over $1200 I think.
I may put in a bid on one or the other couple still on GB, that right now have no bids, but then again I may not. I note one other member here made a good snag a week or so ago on a nice .35 as well.
Surprised he hasnt mentioned it yet, but probably hasnt got it in his hot little hands yet. :D
are you talking about a 35 cal with a Redfield?
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Hibby83 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:17 pm
9.3shooter wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm You have as good a chance at being right as anyone else.

are you talking about a 35 cal with a Redfield?
ummmm, maybe.....
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Maybe me. Ha

It's on the high end for what I have paid for non rare 8/81's. The blue seemed excellent and the overall condition is what had me jump, along with it having that peep. Did that ring the bell 9.3?

It's supposed to arrive Friday.

9.3shooter
ummmm, maybe.....
[/quote]
Last edited by Hibby83 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Back on track to the post.

I'm with MinnesotaDan on some of the opinions about the rate of increase.

I do believe there is a buying bubble, I dont think it'll burst but leak down some. Prices of certain goods may not return.

I have a picture from an auction for a high condition early 81 that had the Krieger mag, it went for $45xx.00 :o

There certainly has been a a handful that went for 30-100% more than what I would've thought they should've sold for in this past year.

"All my speculation and opinion"
81police

Post by 81police »

Whichever it is...I think it's safe to say the days of finding a $200 Model 8/81 any day of the week are LONG gone!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

It is interesting to note the "2012 Blue Book Values" listed on this website.

Prices have gone up.

Time to update the prices?

It would be good to keep the 2012 blue book prices on the site, though. It is always nice to see that history. Also to show others (wives?) how these rifles have increased (tripled, quadrupled) in value. They have proven to be good investments.
81police

Post by 81police »

If someone can email me a screenshot of 2020/2021 Blue Book Values I can update it with both!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator