Swiss cheese anyone??

Post by 9.3shooter »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/903764897

I see 15 extra holes on this one!
Hardrada55

Re: Swiss cheese anyone??

Post by Hardrada55 »

Those tangs are awful proud!
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

I really hate to see these purchased solely as a source for parts. That being said this one definitely is a parts gun.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

chas1949 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:05 am I really hate to see these purchased solely as a source for parts. That being said this one definitely is a parts gun.
That was my thought as well. I hate all those holes.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

chas1949 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:05 am I really hate to see these purchased solely as a source for parts. That being said this one definitely is a parts gun.
Hear ya there. I'm afraid to say to many have fallen to that. Model 8/81 'rapers' are buying 8/81's, tearing them apart, and selling the parts for over priced values to reap more of the value of the rifles as a whole. I know in fact one 81 fell to that sometime back as I follow 8/81's pretty close on GB and Guns International. One 81 on GB had several unique blemishes and scars on it, nothing excessive and I saw the same rifle in parts selling on Ebay. Could ID the stock and forearm through the unique blemish's on it. I had put the rifle on my GB watch list as I usually keep 'watches' for a while and was able to go back and ID the rifle. The rifle wasn't picture perfect NRA excellent in shape, but an average rifle hunted with and shot since the mid-40's. Wasn't abused by the pictures.

The POS seller didn't list everything at once I suppose so it didn't look like he at performed a gun abortion on the 81, but it was the same rifle. Never did see the receiver, I suspect they can't sell them on Ebay due to ATF/FFL rules. Can't say for sure. Tis' a dirty shame, the guy had a few screws I may have bought if I didn't know where they came from. Won't knowingly do business with a known scam POS. ------- There are a couple of nice 8/81's for sale now on the sites, some overpriced, a few getting that way, a few that probably will get there. :(
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Here’s a couple extra holy ones for your viewing pleasure.

viewtopic.php?t=3853

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4144&p=15805&hilit= ... 3ce#p15805
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Good grief!!! How can anyone be that indecisive on what type of optic mount they're going to use?
81police

Post by 81police »

Someone please start a new "The Holiest 8/81" thread! haha
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I guess that I am a bit more libertarian in my view of an 8 or 81 being parted out.

My philosophy is to not tell others what they should do with their rifle, it is still a free country. In the same vein, if you want to boycott a seller who has parted out one of our favorite rifles, then I am O.K. with that, too.

If you want to save a rifle, then you should buy it, and restore it (but then don't be a hypocrite and use cannibalized parts).

Parts for our 8s and 81s come from somewhere, just like car parts for old collectible cars coming from donor cars. If they ain't makin' new Model 8 parts, then parts must be procured from "donor" rifles.

Nothing is sacred about a rifle. Rifles are tools for hunting and defense, nothing more, nothing less. On this forum, we obviously revere the Remington Model 8/81, but in the end we save the weapons that we have the time and money to save. Some rifles will not survive, making the survivors more valuable and appreciated.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey MinnesotaDan,

Very well articulated. I couldn’t agree with you more! I have been collecting firearms for more than 60 years. I have bought some real beaters in the early years just to keep them from becoming scrap metal. I have had many repaired over the years by using parts that came from “somewhere”. I never gave it a second thought about where the parts came from. In some cases I was able to make the missing or damaged part out of scrap metal.

When I started collecting the Remington 8 & 81’s in early 1980’s, I was more careful in getting authentic parts if I needed them. As many may have seen my postings, it is well known that I have bought rifles knowing full well that they would be salvaged to get parts that I needed to complete projects. I have never scavenged a good rifle to get parts, but if that was the only way to get what I needed, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

It was not my intention to get on my soapbox with my comments but rather to acknowledge the excellent way in which Dan stated his comments.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

"a gun is a tool Marion, no better or worse than the man behind it"

Shane
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas, I don’t reply to many posts anymore. But I feel compelled to do so with this one. I consider Dan and Jack to be my friends,and wouldn’t say or do anything to offend either of them. But, these guns we are discussing here, represent a bygone era of our country. This is why I started collecting in the first place. So to me, they are more than just tools. This isn’t to say that anyone’s opinion is wrong. Just different than mine. And yes , I’m sure that I’ve used scavenged parts before,just to keep an old rifle or shotgun or handgun running.
However, with that, I’ll just say that I have collected all these years out of a kind of love for these pieces of American history.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com