D Grade Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Sarge756

D Grade Model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

viewtopic.php?t=3310&sid=313d226ab037cb ... b4a0a445f4

While back I talked with Jack1653 about the D Grade I bought here several years back. Told him that I was considering selling it. His advice was to refer to the above original post with the many replies/comments from members( in particular the comments from Corey Creamer). The thinking was that just about everything to describe this rifle had been discussed so a prospective buyer would be fully informed. If you have an interest and some time ,read over the post and we can discuss it via PM or phone call. There are some other posts on the forum about this rifle if you search (mattitude) they should come up. I`ve enjoyed it and it is exactly as it was when purchased.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Sarge756

Re: D Grade Model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

176 views of the post and no inquiries yet??? No one out there looking for a "D" Grade? Here for while longer then off to GB.
Joe
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

What are you asking for it? Asking price makes for alot of whether a person wants to send time inquiring about it. While not a real big fan of engraved metal on rifles, yours is tasteful and I wouldn't have a problem with having one with that amount of engraving. Have no interest in firearms with engraving covering most of the metal or carved wood. Had a gunshow seller call me over once that I knew. He knew I liked Colt Pythons. He pulled out a Python that was probably 75% engraved and told me he was waiting for me as IHO, I would be interested. Told him it looked gaudy and I wouldn't give him anymore than a plain jane Python sold for.

When I first looked at the 8 in this thread, that recoil pad on a nice looking 8 made my stomach turn. Not only ruins the value, but the looks IMO. The two holes on the left side of the receiver don't help either. After reading the link on the forum, guess 'the experts' here on the forum question and advise about the stock (maybe even the fore stock) as being original. That wouldn't bother me so much, nice looking wood IMO, but that rubber buttstock. Guess whatever you want for the 8, it would be a decrease in price of one that had all original wood, no buttpad or receiver holes. Again what price are you asking, ifin ya list it on GB you'll need to do that. I know if I'm not interested or don't care for the looks, I don't have to inquire or buy. Asking price though may get ya some interest.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Rifleman,appreciate you taking the time to respond to the post. Your assessment of the detractors with this rifle are correct. You have reiterated what I included with the caveat that I wanted a prospective buyer to be fully informed. I share your distaste for guady engraving. Have sold a fair # of Pythons and 1911`s that were adorned over the top. As to price on this rifle I was merely following the advice of a trusted friend and collector magna cum laude of our favorite rifles. Jack1653 did offer an opinion stating that even with the detractors any engraved "D" grade still had value and that he felt in todays market would estimate this rifle @$2500/$3,000 range. I am open to discuss an offer with an interested party.
Joe
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

What type of receiver sight or scope mount were the holes drilled for? If one could find out, one could replace the sight/scope mount.

That would seem to make the rifle more appealing.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I agree Dan and I have searched but couldn`t find what they fit. It does have possibilities though. I have the front Stith scope mount for it and have played with the idea of fashioning a rear mount that would use the drilled and tapped holes.I have a good friend that is a master machinist that I believe could make it. Have also considered restoring it by filling the holes. My friend is also a wizard with a Tig and did a similar restoration on a couple Winchesters for me. If it doesnt sell I may look into that.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

A rifle that nice would be worth restoring. I have seen, and heard, of guys Tig welding holes very successfully.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Sarge,
The holes look like they are for the Williams 5D. If that helps.
My experience with TIG: it is possible, but impossible to preserve the blue. I'd add the receiver sight, it already there. Plus it would be less expensive I'd think.
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hey Sarge756-----Hope I didn't appear to sound bad on my last post, if so, I apologize. Just curious what the price would be, figured it would be up in the higher realms, but probably not as much ifin the stock and receiver hadn't been messed with. Good luck on getting whatever you hope to get.

Like I noted, the metal engraving is not overboard, but tastful and not unappealing as a rifle no matter the make and model that has engraving covering alot of the metal. Same goes with carved stocks-unappealing IMO and taste. I've seen some rifles with engraving covering more than is needed, plus has carved floral/animals all over the stock. UGLY IMO.

I had a pretty good discussion on another forum once reference a Savage 99 that had engraving all over the receiver and on the barrel, plus the wood all carved. Many thought it was the bee's-nee's, thought everyone should be drooling to have it. I said it was ugly as all get out and had no desire to own, many got upset. Eye of the beholder. To me a plain nicely blued rifle with good lines and nice checkering is a thing of beauty and more desired. A bit of engraving like yours is ok with me, but I have no desire for a gaudy firearm. To many, the 8 and 81's are ugly, but IMO they are graceful girls of beauty. Take care. Rifleman.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

No offense Rifleman. All good. Again,I agree about overly engraved firearms.That being said if this one had every square inch covered with scroll it would still be worthy. As Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting" certainly applies to this 8. Hope you saw the post including photo of the target shot at 50yds of 3 cloverleafed .35 holes. Don`t know if anything extra was done on 'D Grades' to contribute to better accuracy than the standard 8`s but this one is for sure "interesting".
Joe
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Rifleman........This was the post referred to.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3324&p=11127&hilit= ... 21a#p11127
Joe
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Great shooting, two thumbs up!!!! :)