Got lucky today! Found a Frank Hamer special.

Posts about the Model 8
9.3shooter

Got lucky today! Found a Frank Hamer special.

Post by 9.3shooter »

Went to the range early, came back, checked GB and other sites like I do every day for a model 8 .25 Rem. NADA. Had lunch, went out for an hour or so came back. Checked GB first, boom! A model 8 in .25 Remington. I had got outbid on one last week that went well beyond what I was prepared to bid, other guy wanted it worse than I did.
This one had a starting bid of $800 and a buynow of $1000. Checked the pics and description quickly and hit the Buynow button!
I know the seller, from Kalispell Montana and have bought from him before.
So as described, a 1913 Model 8, with replacement butt stock, no extra holes, says refinished all over but the blue if a reblue was done right and shows edge wear and looks fine. Bore is said to be good but not perfect. Has a sling installed and overall looks like a useable rifle and not a pristine collector piece.
Will have it in a month or so I suppose after the 10 day 'assault rifle' wait after it arrives at my FFL.
Will post up pics when it gets here.
81police

Re: Got lucky today! Found a Frank Hamer special.

Post by 81police »

Congrats on a bonified quarterbore springpole!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I peaked, and that's a good looking rifle!
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Congrats on finding what you were looking for and swiftly making a decision.

I got a peak at it also, looks like it was done right.

Can’t wait to hear the range report.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Had a chance to handle it today at my FFL. Overall looked very good, bore is exactly in my view as stated by the seller, good rifling with slight rougness (in the grooves) but looks quite shootable for over 100 years old. Passed the bullet test as well.
Ran some dummies thru it to check basic function, passed.
Trigger was sweet, took the horrible, nasty old sling off and threw it in the garbage.
Replacement butt stock was fitted very nicely, no gaps. Old reblue impressed my FFL guy.
Think this will be a good shooter grade funner, soon as I get it out of the WA 10 business day jail sentence!