Refinish?

Posts about the Model 8
GuideGun

Refinish?

Post by GuideGun »

I have been handed down a family heirloom Remington Autoloading Rifle in .35 Remington that dates to 1908. The rifle is in alright condition. The metal isn't rusted or pitted, but most of the bluing is worn off and most of the metal is now grey. The rifle has a semi rounded pistol grip stock and a front stock is in a shape like I've never seen before in photos. Probably not original. The buttstock has a good chunk taken out at the toe of the stock. The LOP also seems very short. I'm not really concerned at all about value decrease with refinishing the rifle. This is a rifle that has been in my family since it was made. I want to bring it back to life. I'd like to get the metal rust blued, and a new set of stocks made for the rifle. Any recommendations for who can do this work? It seems to me Boses Guns in Nebraska would be a one stop shop for restocking and rebluing the rifle. Any experiences? I know these were originally rust blued and I'd like to come close to matching that level of finish. I'd like to put some really nice figured walnut on the rifle as well, I've got some ideas on wood. I'm not trying to keep it original, I'd like to enhance the rifle a bit.
Hardrada55

Re: Refinish?

Post by Hardrada55 »

I know I have struggled several times with the refinish vs leave original conundrum. In the final analysis, I would do what makes the gun most enjoyable to you. It's not like you would be refinishing some super rare variation or a one of a kind gun or one that is historically significant that would now be lost to history if it was refinished.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
GuideGun

Post by GuideGun »

I'm not worried about refinishing it. I'm more interested in if anybody on here has worked with a smith that does good work on these.

Anybody have recommendations for a bluing and stocking service?
81police

Post by 81police »

This gunsmith was highly recommended by a couple members, not sure if he's in business still...

http://www.mikeryangunsmith.com/
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Macon Gunstocks:
https://www.shop.macongunstocks.com/Rem ... 1_c115.htm

I'm not into refinishing, and not so much about diminishing value as that I'd have no idea what to expect, and the cost of shipping plus the work kind of makes it prohibitive imo. Years ago it was a money maker to do rebluing and the average results were an over buffed, over shiny, basically ruined gun. But there were some who did excellent work.

With that said, if you can find someone who can do it right and they're out there, and it is what you really want, go for it.

The Model 8 C we have was reblued. My brother says it rusted up when we cam to Florida or something. I do not know who did the work but they did an excellent job. My Dad would have been gun savvy enough to send it to Remington. This would have been in the mid to later 1960's.

I have a Model 8 with replacement wood too.
KEN