dissassemble

Posts about the Model 8
flanman

dissassemble

Post by flanman »

Alright now I have the proper wrench but I'll be damned if I can loosen that barrel bolt. I am not sure this gun has been dissassembled since 1907. Any thoughts on loosening things up? thanx flanman
jack1653

Re: dissassemble

Post by jack1653 »

Hey flanman,

Welcome to the world of the tight barrel nuts! Try this approach that usaully will work, but it may take a day or two. Get some good penetrating oil and pour enough of it into a small container that will cover the barrel nut when the rifle is standing on the barrel end. Usually a couple of inches will do the trick. Set the rifle aside for a few hours and give it a try. If it does not come loose, let it soak some more. The oil will not hurt the rifle. Just make sure you secure the rifle so that it won't slip and make a mess should it fall over. I have also used Hoppe's to soak tight.

What ever you do, do NOT use any tool that clamps down on the nut such as vice grips, a pipe wrench or a pair of pliers. You will surely put some very unsightly deep scratches on the barrel nuts. The barel nut has small notches and sits on a notched washer and many times the nut will "freeze" to the washer as a result of moisture and just powder residue that has accumulated over time.

After a good soaking in the penetrating oil, secure the rifle so that you can have both hand free to use the spanner wrench. Set the wrench securely to the barrel nut and gently tap the end of the wrench with a small hammer. Be very carefull with the tapping as you can twist the spanner wrench or break the small tip that goes in the little hole on the nut. When you get the nut off, you are half way there. The slotted nut can now be removed. Remember it is under spring pressure and will come flying apart when the slotted nutx is removed.

Good Luck.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good info from Jack.

Also, note that the nut and slot-washer are connected via opposing teeth when they separate it will sound like you are breaking something :oops: - as the teeth "slip" apart. That means you are doing it correctly. :P

And, I've found that the spring tension is only slightly more then an 870/shotgun magazine spring, keep pressure on it but don't expect it to launch parts to the neighbors. :lol:

I've also had good luck with Kroils as a cleaner/penetrator.

I've been following your progress, we all started as Newbies - you are doing good.
Keep having fun. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
flanman

Post by flanman »

Thanx for the help I will see what I can get done this weekend. flanman
JJ Roberts

Post by JJ Roberts »

Flanman,I have tryed many penetrating oils,the best one I would recommend is PB Blaster.Any old gun I dissassemble get all the screws lubed with PB Blaster.it work for me,hope this helps everone on the forum. J.J.Roberts
flanman

Post by flanman »

JJ glad you have had success with that product as that is the very product I brought home this weekend. Hope to put it to use over the holiday weekend coming up. flanman