Aperature sight

Posts about the Model 8
flanman

Aperature sight

Post by flanman »

Slowly I am learning what is what. I now know the swivel is not for a sling but is the forestock screw and the hole in the back of the receiver is not a bubba job but a missing aperature sight. Any ideas on where I get one and how I ensure it is period correct for a 1908 Model 8? flanman
brian.35

Re: Aperature sight

Post by brian.35 »

Hi flanman,
I think the most common sight that uses the mounting hole on the back of the receiver is the Marble's R6. They are regularly listed on ebay but they usually don't go cheap. There are pictures of a few different sights in the "sights and scopes" section of the gallery.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... &gallery=9
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

Once you get the sight, I recommend using some blue thread locker on the screw threads when you mount it. The sight on mine would work loose after a range session of fifty rounds or so. I didn't want to loose it, so I put a small amount of blue thread locker on it and haven't had a problem since.
flanman

Post by flanman »

Got the sight yesterday, will clean and scrub today. Where do I find the blue thread locker? :?:
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

flanman wrote:Got the sight yesterday, will clean and scrub today. Where do I find the blue thread locker? :?:

You can find it anywhere that sells automotive supplies. Wal Mart carries it, heck, I think I've even seen it at Target before. It's made by Loctite. If you don't see it in the automotive area, check in the plumbing area. Sometimes they'll place it along side caulking and other sealers and glues. It runs about six or seven bucks.

Be sure you get the blue kind. With blue, you can remove it with hand tools and a little effort. The red version is more heavy duty and requires you to use heat to loosen it. The green version is only for things like electronics fasteners and stuff that doesn't get much vibration.
flanman

Post by flanman »

Thanx again I will see what I can find in blue at Wally-World. flanman